Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

BigBlackNigga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Hello,

I am new to posting stuff here, but I would like to know how to format an external hdd to ntfs. I want to put media on the external hdd to plug in via usb to my tv, the tv is a LG smart tv and to my knowledge it only supports FAT32 and ntfs. I think ntfs will be the better option, but when I went to format it thru disk utility on my MBP there wasn't an option for it.

Thanks for any help

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
MacOS X does not ship with native NTFS read/write support enabled out of the box, just read-only. Disk Utility does not know how to create an NTFS filesystem unless you use a 3rd party tool, such as Paragon.

Comment

satcomer

macrumors 604
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Why do you want to make NTFS? You want to bend OS X to Windows? I say bend Windows to OS X by installing on Windows MacDrive. I use this software on my bootCamp and sees/writes to every external HFS+ I have almost natively.

Comment

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
MacOS X does not ship with native NTFS read/write support enabled out of the box, just read-only. Disk Utility does not know how to create an NTFS filesystem unless you use a 3rd party tool, such as Paragon.

I use tuxera ntfs myself adds function to disc utility works fine for me

Comment

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Since the TV (and Windows and OS X) support FAT32, why not format the drive in FAT32?

Comment

BigBlackNigga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Why do you want to make NTFS? You want to bend OS X to Windows? I say bend Windows to OS X by installing on Windows MacDrive. I use this software on my bootCamp and sees/writes to every external HFS+ I have almost natively.

I want to make the hdd readable for the smart tv

----------

I looked into paragon but the safe download link in cnet wasn't working for me:confused:

----------

I use tuxera ntfs myself adds function to disc utility works fine for me

Thanks, I'll try it out;)

----------

How has nobody commented on OP's username? :confused:
How'd that even get approved as a username on this site :eek:

A friend made me this account and I was too lazy to change it. But rest assured I am black and big :cool:

----------

Since the TV (and Windows and OS X) support FAT32, why not format the drive in FAT32?

I read that FAT32 has a size limit of 4gb, which could easily get maxed out with a movie... that's why I wanted the ntfs

----------

also my mac only gave me the exFAT option, which is not read by the tv.

----------

I was thinking the same thing when I requested my screen name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDbyisUGKc

Comment

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The MSDOS (FAT) option in Diksutility IS FAT32, I just confirmed by formatting a blank USB stick.

Yes, I guess file size might be an issue.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.