Formatting extra internal harddrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paarnold, Oct 6, 2009.

1. paarnold macrumors newbie

Hi, I've tried to find this info in several other places but can't get a specific answer. Perhaps you guys can help.
    I'm running a Dual 2.5 Ghz Power PC G5 with OS X 10.4.9.
    This morning I tried to install a second internal hard drive, that will not be a startup disk. Its going to be used as a scratch disk for video and photo work. The drive is: WD Caviar Black SATA.
    After installing the drive into the lower drive bay, I turned the computer back on and it said it couldn't recognize it. I clicked "intialize..." And now I'm in disk utility not really sure what to do. I have the DVD for OS 10.5.6. Apparently I need to format the disk? I don't really know what that entails. I'm not really prepared to update my startup disks OS. Can I still format the secondary drive with the newer software? How does one "format" a disk anyway?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does Disk Utility see it? If it does, just click it and erase it and format to Mac OS (Journal)

3. paarnold thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that made it seem so simple and yet I would have never figured that out. Thanks!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So you formatted it and it's working now? No problem, mate :cool:

5. paarnold thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, everything appears to be cool. It appears in the finder and I can move data to it. thanks again

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've always thought Disk Utility wasn't very user friendly in that regard. There should be a 'Format' option. I don't think most people will know that the Erase feature is what you use to Format a drive. Not very intuitive.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree, it's almost impossible to use it without knowledge of it, but luckily we in MacRumors can help :p