formatting free space on ntfs drive to HFS+

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CrAkD, May 22, 2010.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have a hard drive that had 2 ntfs partitions. I deleted one of the ntfs partitions in windows so now half the drive is free space but disk utility wont touch it without formatting the other partition. is there a 3rd party osx app i can use to turn this into a usable hfs+ drive?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you are at home format the HFS+ and make windows see that format by installing MacDrive on the Windows whatever you have box.

3. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

well that wont work because the windows partition on the drive is a windows boot partition so I need to keep it intact.

4. dimme macrumors 65816

I think the safest thing is to backup everything (both windows & Mac partitions) to another drive and reformat then restore.

5. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Yeah I was trying that for some reason the windows 7 backup thing won't run. I backed up all the files. But I won't be able to restore....I guess I'll keep trying to get the backup system image in windows to work

6. dimme macrumors 65816

Try this to back up your windows partition.http://twocanoes.com/winclone/
    It works great, but follow the specific instructions if you make the partition smaller.

7. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

thanks for the replys! I asked on another forum and someone suggested parted magic and that worked perfectly without having to format! thanks again!