Formatting hard drive help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tech0925, Mar 15, 2011.

1. tech0925 macrumors member

tech0925

I reinstalled my mac osx dvd and erased my hard drive. I have a 1 terabyte hard drive. However, after doing this it still says I only have 500+ of free gigabytes left. Why so little? What happened to the other 500 gigabytes?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Three questions:
    1. How did you format your hard drive?
    2. Which file system did you use?
    3. Did you partition the drive?

3. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

I put the original mac osx dvd in and when I got to the options part it asked if I wanted to install on the same hard drive keeping the files or erase the hard drive and start with a clean state. (Something similar to that). I chose erase the hard drive. I never saw anything about partitioning or re formatting the hard drive.

4. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Go into disk utiity from the DVD, click on the drive and go to the parttion tab

5. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Can you elobarate? I do not see an option to go into disk utility after loading the CD. This is an original CD that came with my iMac just incase you are wondering.

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

After you start up from the DVD, it will ask What language, then without going any further, use the Utilities pull down menu and select Disk Utility.
    Then select Partition and select one or two, whichever you want.
    Check the options to make sure it is set correctly, GUID for an Intel Mac, and then click OK or whatever to do the partitioning.
    After that, you can quit Dsik Utility and proceed to install the OS.
    :cool:

7. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

I tried this but still only get about 500 something gigabytes. For some reason it shows my main hard drive but then a second partition directly underneath it called Untitled 1. Why do I have two partitions? Is there a purpose for that. I still can't figure out what in the world I am missing here. :confused:

8. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

That's the screen you want. Just delete the partitions and erase.

9. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Ok, I think I have done everything above but still no luck. Also, I do not see an option to delete the partition but it does erase it and renames it. I am assuming that is the same thing. I even wrote over everything with one pass. The top drive has 596GB and the one below it says 595GB. No matter what I do I cannot figure out why it will not release the rest of the missing GB's. As mentioned before, this mac is 1 Terabyte.

Any ideas where the rest of my hard drive is hiding?

10. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Well, I feel like an idiot. LOL I just checked my iMac box and it says it only has 640GB! :eek: I thought I bought the 1 terabyte edition. At least that is what I told them I wanted. Oh well, can't do anything about it now since it has been two years.

Sorry everyone and thanks for the help. I am squared away now. :D

11. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

lol, yes that would limit your partition size!