Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spraggzilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Just opened the box of new Iomega eGo 320GB hardrive and commenced time machine.

Cancelled sync after 20 mins and then ejected disc and now the disk is apprantly Read Only. All the fields in Disk Utility are grayed out preventing me from formatting the disk!

What do I need to do?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just opened the box of new Iomega eGo 320GB hardrive and commenced time machine.

Cancelled sync after 20 mins and then ejected disc and now the disk is apprantly Read Only. All the fields in Disk Utility are grayed out preventing me from formatting the disk!

What do I need to do?
Take a screen shot of your Disk Utility window and post it.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

What do I need to do?

have you tried to reboot mac?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If a reboot doesn't work, then try formatting that HDD on another computer. I bet Windows wouldn't have any issues. Then reformat on the Mac and you're set.

Now, if you don't have access to another computer, then you'll have to come up with somehting else.

spraggzilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Update

Rebooted and HD was recognised. Started time capsule and around 80% of way through it said there was an error. Went to disk utility again, tried to erase and this popped up...any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 22.18.19.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 22.18.19.png
    1 MB · Views: 66

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Rebooted and HD was recognised. Started time capsule and around 80% of way through it said there was an error. Went to disk utility again, tried to erase and this popped up...any ideas?

could just be a failing hard drive, it must be pretty old for a 320GB external, you can get a 1TB for under $100 now so it might be time to upgrade, if those messages are a sign the drive is dying you dont want to lose you backup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.