Formatting hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fruitey, Feb 15, 2013.

1. fruitey macrumors newbie

I have a disc error and i wish to wipe the whole drive.
    I have made a disc volume copy of the faulty drive on a external hdd
    I just wish to know if i wipe the disc with tech tool pro 6 will i be able to copy over the full volume and have a full os again?

Thank you

2. simsaladimbamba

No need to use TechTool Pro to wipe the disk, Disk Utility is perfectly capable of doing so.

And depending how you copied the data of the disk with errors to the external disk, you might be able to copy it back and boot from it again, but if you did not use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! or another tool to clone the disk with errors (what errors anyway?) to the external disk, a reinstallation is the only way.

3. fruitey thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mention but theres a problem with the b-tree and so i can't get onto it.
    I tried to reinstall os off disk but said i couldn't edit the disk.

4. simsaladimbamba

Thus Disk Utility does not allow you to format as shown in the guide above, which even wipes the partition map scheme?

5. fruitey thread starter macrumors newbie

the only way i can work with the hhd is if its connected to my other mac and i ran disc utilities on it and verified and then attempted a repair which failed.

If theres another way of fixing the disc please tell me this is getting annoying now.
    Heres a previous thread post that i posted about what i did to attempt to fix it. if that helps at all.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1542784&highlight=tech+tool+wont+repair