Formatting HD and reinstalling leopard question.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by k2woods, Sep 4, 2008.

1. k2woods macrumors newbie

I bought Leopard when it came out and installed it on my MacBoook Pro. However it is now many months past and I want to reformat my computer.

The issue is that I forgot my CD at my permanent residence, and I am now at my student residence (which is a fair distance away)

Would I be able to use my roommates installation CD's (leopard), that came with his Mac Pro?

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yes but that would be illegal! Even if you own a copy.......

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No as Mac Pro installation DVDs that ship with the machine will only work on another Mac Pro.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Is that so Rob? I'm not too sure about the driver thing! I guess they should work.... but anyways... you'd better have your family mail it to you considering you dont have any urgency!

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's true for all restore DVDs that ship with Macs. Has been for many years. They are locked to the type of hardware they ship with. That's why you get so many posts on here of newbies buying "Leopard" DVDs on eBay and not being able to use them: they are restore DVDs for other types of Macs.

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Ahhh..... I'm sorry... your question could never strike me in this perspective! Whatever Rob says is perfectly true! Thanks Man!

7. flir67 macrumors 6502

it will work as long as both are intel machines and both are macbook pro's..

but is illegal unless he got the 5pack user license with his purchase.

depending on what he got when he order the machine , it may or maynot install the programs thats on your disc. such as imovie,etc...

look on ebay I saw leopard for sell on a system disc like you want to use for 29.00

good luck

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Don't worry, because you don't need to reformat. Unless something terrible has already happened, it's completely unnecessary.