Formatting iPhone to Mac necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by guicpsbr, Oct 1, 2010.

1. guicpsbr macrumors newbie

Hello there.
    Situation is...
    Since I had an iPhone formatted for Windows as I use my desktop computer with Vista... I have recently purchased a MacBookPro with SnowLeopard... so I am actually afraid that if I try to plug the Windows-formatted iPhone 3GS onto the Mac, I will lose all the info on the iPhone, as it happened to me with the iPod Classic.
    Question here is....
    Will the same thing happen if I plug the iPhone onto the Mac?

Thanks for the help.
    Will.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone does not have a disk mode. Thus, it is formatted in it's own special way that is independent of the host operating system. You will lose no data.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you sync it with another computer, your media may be removed though.

4. guicpsbr thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha!

So technically I can download files from the iPhone, such as photos or even songs... but I can't really upload anything into it... is that right?

5. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I would restore it on the MBP as it can cause some issues in future

6. guicpsbr thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys, having a second problem now... trying to enable the Manual control of files but it won't let me do it without syncronizing and if I do that It's going to remove all of my stuff from within and change for other stuff that is in my MacPro.... is there any way to enable to manual file management without having to sync it??
    Thanks TONS

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can only sync with one library.
    If you're going to use this iphone on the Mac and assuming you have all your music and other stuff on it then let it erase and resync everything.

8. guicpsbr thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, well that defeats the purpose, since the main idea was to first transport all the files from the iPhone itself onto the HardDrive and then.... if I do that, it means it will get it all done with and erased.... not the point.
    But thank you!! Lots.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not how it works. You cannot transfer everything from the iPhone to the new library without the use of some 3rd party programs. But you're welcome.