Formatting LaCie HDD Mac/Windows XP partition

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thegrandmaster, Apr 16, 2008.

1. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Hey guys,

I just got my LaCie 1TB external HDD and I need to split it into two partitions, I need one to be Mac OS X, and one compatible with Windows XP, I assume that'll be Fat32 or NTFS.

Basically, how can I achieve this? Can I do it all with Disc Utility? Directions would be perfect, all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

2. Bambeezer macrumors regular

It can be done easily through disk utility. I did the same thing. I split my drive for time machine and a windows/osx. The second partition is Fat32 so that I can use it for windows files and mac files.

In disk utility, you select the disk name in left pane. Choose the one that lists GB size and on the right side you have the option to partition. Select the volume scheme with number of partitions you want. Then you will see the options to format, name, and select sizes.

Creating multiple partitions is a great way to take advantage of a drive for both OS. I'd love to have 1TB of space to play with!! Good luck.

Does that help?

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you want to access the PC partition, got with Fat32.

just curious. what is your model of LaCie HD? because i have a model (cant remember name) and i cant partition it because it has the "EDMini" logon thingo going where you need to log on every time. mine is unable to be formatted as far as i know.

4. thegrandmaster thread starter macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Sorted!

Thanks Bambeezer, I've got myself a nice 32GB FAT partition, doesn't seem to like it if I try and make it any bigger.

I have a LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ Triple (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10922) which formatted just fine, so fine in fact I'm thinking of dividing it 4 ways.

5. TamyBeatles macrumors newbie

Problems formatting my 1Tb Lacie BigDisk Extreme+

Hello everybody, I've seen you know a lot about the Lacie Hard drives and might be able to give me a hand with a problem I've got with one of those. I've just bought a new 1Tb Lacie BigDisk Extreme+ and want to use it for my PC, which runs Windows XP. I followed all steps listed on the Lacie Manual to create a partition and format the disk to NFTS so it can be used with PCs. Everything was fine, disk was being formatted, and after a couple of seconds the formatting process got to 100%, a window came up saying the disk was unable to format. I tried to format it again but the same problem appeared. I've contacted Lacie but I have to wait till someone comes back with an answer, but maybe someone in this forum knows what the problem is and can give me a hand sorting this out.

Thank you.

Tamara.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that is very odd.....

do you need to 'log on' to the disk to be able to use it?

i dont really have any suggestions other than using a mac to format it, it will most likely work on a mac haha.

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Unless you're using it for Time Machine, or have unique sharing needs, I probably wouldn't bother partitioning it. I'd probably just format the whole thing as MS DOS (Fat 32). Both will be able to read/write just fine.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

or work with movies, or sound files, or rip dvd's or do anything with large file sizes :p

9. crustybread macrumors newbie

I'm also having problems partitioning a Lacie hard drive fo use on both windows and Mac. i can format it fine using the disk utility and create 2 partitions but when I go to change the volume format of one of the partitions I don't have a MS-DOS option, only 4 types of Mac OS extended, UNIX file system and Free space - should I use one of these for windows?

10. yode macrumors 6502

sorry to bump a dead thread, but this same exact problem is happening to me. I have a lacie external and am trying to format a partition with FAT32 but there is NO option for fat32. Anyone know what's up?

btw, i know that the lacie setup assistant can do this, but i cant find the setup assistant ANYWHERE online, and it didnt come with a cd. It also says I can't use the setup assistant after the drive is formatted

nvm I figured out that you have to click "Options" and then click "Master Boot Record"

11. FredericB macrumors newbie

Formatting LaCie HDD with Mac/PC partitions

I recommend formatting your LaCie disk on a Macintosh, using Utilities/Disk Utility --> Erase --> 2 partitions.

I use:
    - Mac OS Extended (journaled) for the Mac partition (compatible with Time Machine) and
    - MS-DOS (FAT) for the PC partition. (You do have to click "Options" and then click "Master Boot Record" to see the MS-DOS option)

When your format the disk on a Mac, you can make both partitions as big or small as you want, relative to your total disk size.

If i format my LaCie disk on a PC (Windows), one of the partitions (i think it was the Mac side) can only be at most 32GB. So, do your disk formatting on a Mac, and you will not have this problem. Hope this helps you!