Formatting Main Hard Drive Of Mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fartini, Sep 4, 2008.

1. fartini macrumors newbie

hi there. i'm quite new to macs, as this is my 1st one.
    basically i need to get more space on my laptop and i want to get rid of the rubbish i no longer need.

i've gotten to the disk utility bit.
    on the left it shows my hard drive saying it is 183.GB toshiba and below it it says Macintosh HD.

can i format this so i have more space on the hard drive of the computer?

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

If you format this drive, then you will lose all the data on it. So make a backup first! I think that easier way to get more space is simply remove unused software and data. The format isn't necessary.

3. johto macrumors 6502

johto

If you want to start "fresh", You could re-install your OSX. You boot from your OS X installation disk ( holding "c" button during startup before apple logo), then you can format the disk using the disk utility before installing the OSX. You can choose "Custom" during the install process, so you can deselect some crap, like printer drivers, useless fonts and so on to gain more space.

Of course backup your stuff if you need before formatting :)

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

And of course, don't forget to de-select/delete all the unnecessary language files too :)

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You are new to Macs so you probably don't realize that there isn't much space wasted on a basic installation of OS X (other than print drivers and languages ~= 4 GBs).

Download Monolingual and use it. You'll be set. Formatting is such a waste of time.