Formatting my iMac before I sell it

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pedex, Aug 31, 2007.

1. pedex macrumors member

What is the best way to format my harddrive on my iMac g5? I am selling it tomorrow and I don't want the new guy to be able to restore anything. Would just using the OSX install disk work fine or is there a better way.

I have already backed up my iTunes onto dvds and im doing iPhoto next. I dont have an external HD so i am using my 80 gig ipod for the rest of my files and aps.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

After you have backed up all your files, then boot your iMac with the Install DVD.

Select Disk Utilities.

Under the ERASE tab, choose SECURITY OPTIONS.

Select Zero Out Data, 7-Pass Erase, or 35-Pass Erase.

Erase the HD.

Then return to the installer and install the system.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks sushi, I wasn't clear on how to do this properly either myself and may need to in the near future whenever I decide to buy my new iMac. I'll keep these steps in mind when the time comes... :)

4. pedex thread starter macrumors member

thank you sushi. Thats exactly what I was looking for was a low level format- also, is there an easier way to just copy all my files onto my ipod? maybe drag my home folder to it or something?

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You're very welcome ~Shard~.

A 35 pass erase is more secure than a 1 pass (Zero Out Data) erase. Of course, a 35-Pass will take a lot longer to do as well.

I think that for most folks, a one pass erase should be enough unless you are working with highly sensitive data.

Your home folder, assuming that you only have one, contains all your files. So by copying it to your iPod should work, provided there is enough free space on your iPod.

You should be able to drag your home folder to the iPod to copy the files.