Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joulail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Hello

First thing sorry for my bad language
so im buying an used imac without any cd just the imac desktop and i want to upgrade it or format it to avoid the installed app and get new version
and im new and this so plz can u clarify the methode to do this
this is my information of my imac
mac os x 10.5.8
1983-2009
Core2duo 2.4ghz
thx

ps: idont have any dvd

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You'll need to get a DVD; no way around it. The easiest way is probably to pick up 10.6 on DVD; this is the last DVD version and should work on your machine.

joulail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
thx guys for ur reply
so till i get the dvds can u give me a way to download apps bcoz idont have
app store and any way to speed my imac
and ive another question so i need a dvd for just do factory reset ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your iMac should support the current OS/X 10.9.4. You can get this from the Apple App Store.

When installing, there should be an option to wipe the disk and I'd recommend this AFTER you have made a backup of anything you want to save.

There's a few steps missing.
You'll need the Snow Leopard (10.6) installed first, which you will need to update to 10.6.8
That updating is simple, just run Software Update after you get connected to your internet.
You won't have the App Store until you do those updates to 10.6.8

Wiping the drive is a good first step.
Probably no need to back up a "new" Mac that you just purchased, unless the seller put some important pictures or music on the drive, just for you. Backing up would probably just waste your time, if there's nothing important on the drive yet.

If you need to download an app or two now, you can always go to one of the software download sites, such as macupdate.com

joulail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
There's a few steps missing.
You'll need the Snow Leopard (10.6) installed first, which you will need to update to 10.6.8
That updating is simple, just run Software Update after you get connected to your internet.
You won't have the App Store until you do those updates to 10.6.8

Wiping the drive is a good first step.
Probably no need to back up a "new" Mac that you just purchased, unless the seller put some important pictures or music on the drive, just for you. Backing up would probably just waste your time, if there's nothing important on the drive yet.

If you need to download an app or two now, you can always go to one of the software download sites, such as macupdate.com

Thx guys for ur help
no my friend i need to purchase snow leaopard 10.6 than iwill get the app store and after that i can update my imac to any update without dvd ?
and the probleme is im from morocco and i dont think apple ship or other seller will ship the dvd to this country

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hmm. You may need to find a local reseller or import a copy. Even Apple's Moroccan site doesn't say what to do; the entire "How to Upgrade" page is missing! :eek:

joulail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Thx Guys For Ur Help
and i will buy the dvd and hope will be shipped to me

Last edited:

joulail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Hello
so now i want to buy recemended dvd snow leopard 10.6 as u suggest to me
and ive finding those versions 10.6 and 10.6.3 so it is the same or i need to buy 10.6
thx

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
Hello
so now i want to buy recemended dvd snow leopard 10.6 as u suggest to me
and ive finding those versions 10.6 and 10.6.3 so it is the same or i need to buy 10.6
thx

Either 10.6 or 10.6.3 is just fine. If you install any 10.6 it will update itself to 10.6.8 the first time you check for updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.