Formatting my mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ImShane, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ImShane macrumors member

Hi folks,

If i format my hard drive to wipe everything to start fresh, will this delete 'everything' or will i still have all the default applications i had on my mac when i first bought it?

cheers
    shane

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, everything will be gone.

You will have your default applications on your system disk that you used to reformat the drive in the first place. That is, you boot up off your install disk, reformat and then install the OS and any included applications like iLife. FYI, iLife is included with new macs but if you reformat/install off a Snow Leopard disk you'll not have those applications as they are not included with SL.

3. Nighthawk4 macrumors newbie

I have recently reformatted my drive as an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard. I hadn't noticed until I read this thread that all of iLife has now disappeared.

As I do own an original disk of Leopard as well as Snow Leopard, is it legal to install iLife from Leopard onto the Snow Leopard installation? Will the Apps still work?

4. ImShane thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for that, could you help a newb out and tell me how i go about reinstalling and formatting osx, during the year i got an extra internal hdd installed will i have to install on both too?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member