Formatting new hard drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mikeolson2043, Nov 13, 2014.

1. mikeolson2043 macrumors newbie

I have a iMac G5 PowerPC [2006] that has been out of service for several years due to hard drive failure. I recently installed a replacement drive, wanting to set up the computer for an elderly friend to use. I have original Leopard Installation disks [black] 10.5.1 version, but these will not start the computer because I need to format the new drive for the Mac.

I've tried to create a USB stick drive that will start it, without success.

I've also tried target mode from a Mini [2006 - intel] to the G5, but while I can see the new drive with Disk Utility on the Mini, I am unable to format it. Disk Utility freezes.

Starting in boot option mode does not show any disks - either USB or the CD/DVD when inserted. Trying to start off of the installer disk does not work as it is evidentially not a start up disk.

All other Macs I have are intel based, so I don't know where to go next. I appreciate any suggestions. I would just like to have a simple boot disk that would let me start it up and then I should be able to see the installer & disk utilities on the USB drive.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Mike

2. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

The retail Leopard disk should let you format the HD, it sounds like you have another issue with the sata bus.

3. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Try zapping the PRAM and then hold down C while booting with the CD in the drive.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Those black iMac disks are for an Intel iMac. No PPC computer shipped with any installation disks later than Tiger 10.4.2. All PPC machine specific disks are grey, not black.

Try a retail disk instead.

5. tampasteve macrumors 6502

To be fair, the OP did not say that the disks came with an Intel machine, only that they are black and 10.5.1. IIRC the retail 10.5 disks are black and are universal binary. I also believe the machine specific disks are grey regardless of PPC or Intel.

But I could be wrong for sure...

6. mikeolson2043, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

mikeolson2043 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replies.

The black disks are retail disks. I also have the gray ones that shipped with the machine. They are Install Disks 10.4.2 version.

I will try zapping PRAM. Thanks for suggestion.

Neither the gray install disks or the black retail are recognized as startup disks. I've tried starting with the C down. Disks are tested while the ? blinks, then they are ejected. I thought they were not startup disks, but they should be. They work as startups on another Mac [mini - intel].

Not sure - or familiar with sata bus. Controls hard drive? And what else. Could it prevent the USB stick drive from being recognized? When in boot mode, no externals are recognized.

Replacement hard drive is same size as original [1x Hard Drive 3.5-inch SATA - 250 GB - iMac G5 - 250 GB].

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Leopard restore discs from an Intell Mac will boot a PowerPC Mac. They will however refuse to install onto it.

8. mikeolson2043 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if they don't boot the iMac, then there is another issue?

Neither the retail nor the restore disks that came with the iMac will boot it. I've tried starting with the C down, but the disks are refused.

Would this be unrelated to the new hard drive or would that installation have caused another issue?

Thanks.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The laser in the optical drive may be starting to fail or is dirty and cashing it to not be able to properly read the DVD.

10. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Have you tried holding down the option key on boot to see if the discs show up there?

11. mikeolson2043 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdphoto -

Thanks for reply.

Yes. Option down - boot screen displays, but neither CD/DVD show up.

I've tried to format an external HD with 10.5 OS and start from that, but on the Mini - intel - I am unable to format for PowerPC. It seems like I'm in a catch-22 situation. I need a PowerPC to be able to set up another drive to start a PowerPC.

May just be SOL on this project.

12. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Might be a little hassle, but if you want to send me the drive I will install OS X Leopard for you. Since you have the retail disk there is no license issue. No charge, just pay to mail it or drop it off if you are anywhere near Tampa, Fl. Just a thought.

13. mikeolson2043 thread starter macrumors newbie

Generous offer, tampasteve. I am interested in taking it. How do I proceed?

14. tampasteve macrumors 6502

PM sent

15. weckart macrumors 68040

Intel Macs will create bootable APM volumes. I restored a Leopard install disc to a USB flash drive under Mavericks and used that to install Leopard on a Powerbook. It takes a little more effort but better than extracting hard drives and shipping those across the country.