Formatting old imac - Kernel Issue!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adom, Sep 23, 2007.

1. adom macrumors 6502

Hey.

Ok so I've got myself a new alu imac last month, and I want to sell my great G5 isight imac. However, I cant find the install disks that came with it (my organisational skills suck) so I was trying to format the computer with the disks that came with my new imac.

Doing this, results in some crazy kernel panic stuff when I reboot the computer.

It says things like "panic(CPU caller 0x002e259bc): Unable to find driver file for this platform: "PowerMac12,1".

I can put up the rest of the intformation....but is this issue due to the fact that im using my new OSX disk from the intel imac on my old one? Its really strange, i just wish i knew where my other install disks are.

thanks for any help!

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

The CD's for your new Intel iMac will only work on that iMac.

I believe Apple will ship you some replacement install CDs for the original Mac for a fee.

3. adom thread starter macrumors 6502

oh really? huh. never realised that. I thought it was just like a windows cd, and could technically be run by multiple computers.

...anyhoo ive found my G5 discs :D so "kernel" panic over! :D hah

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

To clarify a bit, the install media that ships with a Mac will work only the model of Mac that it shipped with. It will work on other Macs of the same model but not on others. It's not tied into the serial number or anything, it's just the platform.

Glad you found the originals.

5. DirtyVegas macrumors newbie

I am having the same lost disks kernel issue~~

DO YOU STILL HAVE THOSE DISKS??

G5 iSIGHT
    :confused:

6. Guru-ism macrumors newbie

Ok so here's my dilemma.. ImacG5 desktop running on Osx 10.5.8. The problem started when I was trying to setup a new network and it prompted me for a administrator keychain password which I couldn't remember. So I thought reinstalling the oSX would solve the problem..

Instead it's giving me a kernel message saying it is unable to find the driver Power mac 8.1.

This was upgraded from 10.4 using install discs that a friend gave me. Reading some of the other issues detailed in this forum I'm guessing its because these discs aren't the original ones for the iMac. Problem now is the install disc is stuck and I can't eject it on top of the fan racing ten to the dozen.

Any help would be appreciated....

Guru-ism