Formatting Problems on Additonal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by robotartfashion, Feb 10, 2009.

1. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

Ok, this may be the wrong forum section for this, but seeing as it's occuring on my MacPro and there are generally more advanced users in here,

I have a 640GB WD Black hard drive in my computer, and that I had accidentally formatted during my creation of a XP boot camp drive (I have another hard drive in the MacPro with this present)

At the time I lost a majority of my media and had to rerip it all (learned my backup lesson there)

So when it was reformatted it was changed from OSX extended journaled to MS-DOS Fat

I then used the drive to store the media on again as I reripped and pulled some from Time Machine.... I kept running into problems where some files would not copy over

So I reformatted a different drive and copied all the media to it, which fixes the other issues, and now I'm trying to reformat the MS-DOS 640 GB drive back to osx extended journaled

Whew....

When I use disk utility I select the drive, and change the volume format from MS-DOS (FAT) to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click Erase

......and then it stops and says "Disk Erase failed Disk erase failed with the error: File system formatter failed"

I tried googling, any ideas?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I managed to do something like this last week, though I was moving a HD from one system to another.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. robotartfashion thread starter macrumors 6502

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

We have some smart users here at MacRumors. That is why I try to be here every day and catch up on my reading :D:D

5. 119576 Guest

This just worked for me after I had the same problem.
    Thanks a lot. :)

6. 2056 macrumors 6502

i was having this exact issue this evening. thank you so much!

7. bigjash macrumors newbie

Ditto on the good tip! I just plugged in a 2TB Seagate Exchange via USB. It would not allow me to re-format the usual way.

Changed the partition option and VOILA!

Thanks for the help.