Formatting Seagate Freeagent for osx

Discussion in 'macOS' started by leckie, Dec 24, 2008.

1. leckie macrumors member

I've just bought a new Seagate Freeagent drive to replace my old one. I remember I had to follow a procedure to change it from FAT32 to OSX Extended, when I just press erase I get an error.

Can anyone help? I'm going out of my mind here.

Thanks!

2. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

i got lots of erros with mine also, im never buying another seagate drive ever :\

3. J.Bell macrumors newbie

Try this in Disk Utility click on the Partition click on the Current Volume Scheme drop-down menu and select One (1 partition) from the Partition Schemes provided: Click on the options button and chose either the GUID Partition button or the Apple Partition Map button click OK Select other options as desired (e.g., Volume Name Format etc.). Click Apply the Partition Disk screen opens click Partition. At this point, the volume dismounts from the desktop and the drive is partitioned and formatted. When the new volume is created, Time Machine may open asking if you would like to use the volume for backups. Click Cancel to proceed.
    This worked for me on a 1TB Free Agent Extreme.

4. tbates macrumors newbie

Thanks! I hooked it up with USB, did that partitioning detailed above. Now it works with both USB and FW400. THis was with the 1.5tb version.

5. blackdogad macrumors newbie

:) Thanks J.Bell!!! Seagate was clueless regarding this issue and your quick answer worked great and saved me lots of time.

6. muadib420 macrumors newbie

Thanks SO MUCH for this info, also if you are worried abt controlling your FA drive on OS X there is software available (set your drive to sleep, etc etc) :)

Mac Tools for Seagate

7. cspelts macrumors newbie

Thank you J.Bell! This was exactly what I needed!

8. swati.sharma.rs macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a 500 Gb external hard disk that has around 400 GB of my backup data in it already. Now i need to write to it using my macbook. I cannot partition it into two as doing that will erase my old backup which is too much to transfer it onto another system and then do the partitioning to copy the data back.

Is there a simpler way to make my hard disk writtable from my macbook.

Thanks a lot in advance.