Formatting SSD and cloning Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superhrixenz, Nov 7, 2012.

1. superhrixenz macrumors member

Hello, I just bought 15" MBP late 2011. This is my first Mac lol. It comes with Lion OS X. I have a Dell laptop with Samsung 830 SSD in it and I want to install the SSD in the MBP.

1) How do I completely format the SSD? It has Windows 7 in it.
    2) How do I install Lion in the SSD without the Lion's USB/CD?

I hope there are easy ways to do those. Thanks! :apple:

2. enakeprimen macrumors newbie

Boot up the MBP with Lion DVD installer included in the box, then use Disk Utility to format the SSD.

AFAIK you need a USB thumb drive or DVD to install new Mac

3. simsaladimbamba, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

simsaladimbamba

No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

4. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

nuke it with disk utility (GUID partition), then,

i'd use CCC on the SSD via USB to clone it (it'll even do the repair partition) - then swap it in. should be good to go.

Once you've done that, there's a Trim Enabler application you may consider using. If you do, you'll have to "re apply" it after ever OS update.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Install the SSD then hold command-r when you boot. After you tell it to join a wifi network, the machine will DL an installer that shows Disk Utility as one of the options. Start Disk Utility and select the Samsung 830 then format the drive to Mac OS Extended.

Now quit Disk Utility then click the selection to install the OS. This will DL the 4.7GB OS and install it. At the first start you will asked to setup a new account for yourself. Once you are logged in go to System Preferences and under the Startup Disk panel select the SSD as the boot disc, then restart.

6. superhrixenz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the replies. :)

I'm replacing the MBP's HDD with the SSD. It seems that your step is the simplest. Would I be able to download the 4.7 GB OS just like that? I didn't try any of the steps yet because I have to wait until the weekend.

----------

Great guide!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. It is very easy.

8. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

it would probably take far less time to Carbon Clone Copy your existing drive to your new one (external usb case/adapter), swap, than to download 4.7gigs of data (unless you're on some crazy great connection).

Also, if you do this, you now already have a [spinning disk] backup!

9. superhrixenz thread starter macrumors member

Solved

Just installed Lion using the steps above. It's amazing that users can download the OS X through the internet. :apple:

I've been using this machine only for a few days. There is really nothing to clone lol. Luckily my university provides a super fast internet connection so it only took 15 minutes to download 4.7 GB of data. Maybe I will use CCC after a few years using this machine. :)

Thanks all for your help again!

10. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

just some friendly advice - back up REGULARLY.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Agreed. Apple makes backing up so very easy. All you have to do is plug in an external HDD and set it up as a Time Machine drive. It'll do one full backup and then incremental backups going forward.