Formatting SSD safe because of Viruses?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KyloRen, Nov 24, 2015.

1. KyloRen macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

I scanned my MacBook pro with 1TB SSD with Kaspersky Internet Security and it found 2 Win32 BackdoorTrojan Viruses located in (Library/Mail) and some other prefixes. So I formatted the SSD with the Disk Utility App from Apple and installed a completely fresh install of El Capitan. But after a new Install KAspesky found a second time these Viruses. Can anybody tell me why I get those? I mean, I never surf at websites with harming content (only normal websites) or similar things. How can I format the SSD completely and clean so nothing gets left behind because El Capitan doesn't offer this option anymore?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The viruses you speak of were from infected files in your Mail folder, basically somebody emailed you with a malicious attachment -- they were likely auto-filtered by your spam filter but they're still there somewhere. They're only viruses that run on Windows anyway (Win32), likely as a malicious exe/scr file, or even a .doc/xml macro deploying a payload. They're so so common, but none of them affect OS X. So you're completely protected. :)

Just empty your Junk/Spam folder and restart your computer, see if they come back in the scan.

3. KyloRen thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you for your fast response. I will try it out.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

They are no viruses on OS X. However Trojans are another thing and Most are distributed via cracked software, email attachments and Flash! So if you want to scan on a Mac then look at Mailwarebytes and stop looking at adult pictures and using cracked software!