Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theturk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Dubai
I want to format my MBP (I' a first time mac owner) although I have gotten pretty good around the mac in the 2mnths I have owned the MBP (the new generation touchpad MBP) I haven't once formatted. I'm formatting now to be more organized with what I want and don't.

How do I do it? Please be as detailed as you can I'm a perfectionist I don't want missing loops lool :p

thanks fellow macers ;)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Insert your system disk (1) and restart holding down the "D" key on your keyboard until you see the spinning gear.

Once the disk boots, click the next button a few times until you come to a screen with an "option" button. Click it, and select "Erase and Install" as your install method, and click install. ...That's about it.

Make sure you have all of your data backed-up!

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Third party utilities such as drive genius and disk warrior will also do what you describe but offer superior functionality to the built in tools.

Theturk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Dubai
Insert your system disk (1) and restart holding down the "D" key on your keyboard until you see the spinning gear.

Once the disk boots, click the next button a few times until you come to a screen with an "option" button. Click it, and select "Erase and Install" as your install method, and click install. ...That's about it.

Make sure you have all of your data backed-up!

I see. After that I just follow the instructions I'm presume? And when it's done, it will use the CD for drivers and everything correct? The same cd I booted from?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I see. After that I just follow the instructions I'm presume? And when it's done, it will use the CD for drivers and everything correct? The same cd I booted from?
Yes. When it's done, it will be exactly as if you had just powered on the computer for the first time.

Theturk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Dubai
Wow pretty easy. Good god I'm so glad I don't have to go through my 5000 cd stack looking for old drivers, then not finding them and spending all night on Google trying to locate them, just to later find out my windows still freezes for some reason. Ahhh, good days - well not really!

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.