Formatting USB Stick as FAT32.. few problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kolax, Nov 14, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

For some reason, my USB stick is no longer read on Windows machines. They say it must be formatted. It is formatted as FAT32 and my Mac can read and write to it fine.

I seem to recall this happening around when Snow Leopard was released - instead of deleting all the data, I'd usually just re-format it. Is Snow Leopard's partitioning and formatting for FAT32 changed..?

This is really irritating as it pretty much renders my USB drive useless. As I said, works fine on my Mac (haven't been able to try any other Macs).

What can I do?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah I did search, but there is so many different ways of wording that issue - I spent about 20 minutes Googling!

Thanks for the link though.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Let me know if this works for you...I too had this problem and followed Old-Wiz's direction but haven't gotten to a Windows machine to try it out yet.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Using Google or Mrooge is a skill in itself. My wife is a librarian and she gave me some good instruction on it.

6. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Worked for me. Not really sure how the partition map got changed, I've formatted it loads of times (pretty sure it came formatted as FAT32 anyway).

Ah well, all is fine now, so I'm happy.