Formatting windows external drive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by harddriveowner, Nov 18, 2007.

1. harddriveowner macrumors member

Any tips on formatting a Windows external drive to allow it to be used for holding mac files?

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

3. harddriveowner thread starter macrumors member

this is to convert the drive to a mac drive

I have a brand new Western Digital drive that is formatted for Windows. I just want to make it usable for the Mac. Isn't there an easy way?

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Open Disk Utility (in Applications->Utilities), choose the HD, go to Erase and choose a Mac format :)

5. harddriveowner thread starter macrumors member

I did that

I did that and after 13 hours it still was not formatted. I closed Disk Utility even though it warned me not to, but how long does this take to erase an empty harddrive. Then the harddrive was ruined but I returned it to the store for a new one and do not want to mess up a second one.

6. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Sorry, i thought you meant that you wanted to use it with Windows and Mac files... Follow psycofreaks, and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). This should take less than a minute.

7. harddriveowner thread starter macrumors member

That ws what I did. Any idea on how long it will take for a terabyte drive to be formatted?

8. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

On an empty HD, it is very quick, unless you choose secure erase, in which case, it would take a lonnngg time.

9. harddriveowner thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I trusted you and it is doing the exact same thing it did two days ago with the other drive. It is now 13 minutes and counting. When I reach 24 hours I quit.

10. derwolf macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue recently where I tried to format a WD external as Mac OS (Journaled) and it took forever then didn't work. I don't know why. Then I reformatted as MS-DOS, it was fine, then I tried the Mac one again and it worked. There is somebody out there that has an explanation for this, but not me. So try flipping between them with Disk Utility, and it should be quick.

11. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

Chances are that you Western Digital drive supports FAT32 which is supported by OS X so i cant see why you would want to format the disk?????
    :confused::confused:

12. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I am having trouble formatting my Maxtor One Touch 4 external hard drive. I am splitting it into (2) partitions, the 1st one is 150GB Mac Extended Journaled and the 2nd is 350GB MS-DOS (later to format to NTFS in Windows).

For far Disk Utility has been running for 10 minutes and it hasnt moved from the 1/10 mark on the status bar.

Any ideas??

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs