Formatting with External HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mOs, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mOs macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone...

My friend just traded his Sony Vaio in for a Mac iBook G4...
    He thought it would look better Djing in the clubs with....
    And I always told him I'm going Mac once I get the money..

Welll he bought one Used and needs it reformatted however doesn't have a OS to boot...

I downloaded the Mac Leopard 10.5.8 which is on the Laptop but (has someone else's information currently) so he wants it wiped clean...

The OS is on my external HDD...Ive tried (his 40GB HDD) partitioning his HDD and placing the OS on the other partition but that doesn't work....

I can't burn the image via my Desktop because its PC...
    I'm trying to format his hdd via my external HDD is it possible? if so could someone help me because...Im getting irritated trying to do so even with that it keeps telling me I can't put Mac OSx Leopard on my externall HDD....

Any help? if so...instructions would be nice.....I'm not a complete retard...just not the time to figure out things prior to sleep for work the next day after I get off....I'm on my way to work now and I get off early today so I can complete this thing but I don't won't to go crazy in the process..its been a while since I worked with a Unix based system...

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Snow Leopard only costs 29€ and allows to fully wipe the drive before installing Mac OS X.

Also:

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

3. mOs thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah....Sorry...didnt know well..he's going to have to purchase it or wait till I figure it out...
    Thanks....

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 is Intel only, so it won't work on a PowerPC iBook.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I assume that the iBook has a version of OS X currently on it along with the other user's data, correct? Since you have a conundrum concerning installing a new OS, he could just create a new admin user account for himself and delete the old user account. The iBook would still have the OS and apps on it, but the previous users data would be gone, and he could start fresh with his data.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I totally missed that.

Thanks.

(to self: don't post while working out with lots and lots of boxes being carried away)

OP: Maybe MRoogle can give you some better answers on this.