Formatting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, Sep 27, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I'm wondeirng how I go about formating my macbook. I've fomatted a PC 1001 times so I know a bit about it. Thanks.

Trevor

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

First, is there any reason why you're reformatting? Perhaps you don't have to.

Anyway, you do it using the installation DVD that came with your Mac. Boot while pressing the C key. Go into Disk Utilities, and select your Mac's boot disk. Select the Erase tab and click the Erase button.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Option 1: Insert the system install / restore DVD, sys prefs -> startup disk -> select it -> hit the restart button in the window. (Or use any other method to boot off it). Follow the prompts until you get an option button inside the dialog (one or two windows in). When you click it, you'll get the option to erase the disk first and then re-install OS X. Simplest if you don't need to repartition.

Option 2: If you need to repartition, after you boot off the disc, instead of following the prompts, launch Disk Utility from the menus and use the partition tab to create and format the partitions you want. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Option 3: If for some reason neither is an option, you can bring the drive inside the Mac up in target disk mode from another Mac....

4. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

The reason why I'm formatting is because I can't install windows on my mac. I did have it on at one point, but restored it to a single partition. After which I decided to put it back on and it won't let me. I get an error something along the lines of:

"some files cannont be moved. back up system, format HD using a mac osx journalized partion and restore the files and try running boot camp again".

Ever hear of this error before?

5. trev thread starter macrumors 6502