Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
What is so bad about it? The fact that it uses the screen estate? Or that the icons are actually colorful?

Yes, all of it!

Perfection (in design) is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but rather when there is nothing more to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I won't say it's horrible, but the fact that I can't delete icons and organize them IS horrible. It does take more real estate and there are so many apps that I have no interest in that I'm forced to scroll around.

I also agree that Steve can't be the only one with taste at Apple, and if it was his taste that defined the look of the Calendar and Contacts apps in IOS, I would say I'm looking forward to some fresh input as they pain me to look at.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Once you get past the big icons I like the UI. Especially after playing with samsung smart TV apps and the interface for roku xs.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I don't mind the new layout to be honest, though I'd like the ability to delete stuff I don't want (MLB, WSJ etc). I found the old menu system o.k. at first, but the more they add it the more of a pain it was to scroll down to find the option you wanted.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
This looks like the end of Apple. Without Steve here there is no QA.

It was, sadly, always going to be the case. I get slated by friends for this, but I keep saying I miss the Steve era, it was a hell of a ride. Even though he said he didn't want people to ask, "What would Steve do", I still liked to think that somehow they'd keep to his principles. I can see only two people at Apple keeping Steve's principles, and that's Jony Ive and Scott Forstall. They're in the Steve "mould", the same mindset.

Tim Cook, I'm sorry, is not inspiring, he's God awfully boring on stage, too slow, too pedantic, almost robotic. He may well be a great CEO, but there's nothing to suggest that without Steve he'll be nothing but another Gil Amelio. Especially if he begins selfishly and forcefully thinking his visions are what "Steve would want" when they're actually far from that.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I think instead of saying that there's no one to say "no" to bad design, I'd put it this way: There may not be a singular person currently at Apple who has the fundamental instinct for discerning elegant design from bad design in an instant.

The danger this presents for Apple is that if they don't retain someone who does possess this kind of insight, and entrust that person with final authority to can a bad design, they may turn back to consumer testing...

The moment Apple starts designing by committee again, it's hello Pippin, hello Newton, hello Performa... hello garbage... all over again.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted

Of this is true, I'm scared.
I do get loss in the new UI because the blue aura around the icons is too thin.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I think instead of saying that there's no one to say "no" to bad design, I'd put it this way: There may not be a singular person currently at Apple who has the fundamental instinct for discerning elegant design from bad design in an instant.

The danger this presents for Apple is that if they don't retain someone who does possess this kind of insight, and entrust that person with final authority to can a bad design, they may turn back to consumer testing...

The moment Apple starts designing by committee again, it's hello Pippin, hello Newton, hello Performa... hello garbage... all over again.

Agreed.

People keep saying that Scott Forstall is the next CEO in waiting.

I hope he is, he's got that Steve-esque arrogance and the personality to match. On stage, he's enthusiastic, he's almost arrogantly mesmerising, he holds attention, he makes things interesting and shows a real passion for his product.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Wirelessly posted

Of this is true, I'm scared.
I do get loss in the new UI because the blue aura around the icons is too thin.
Exactly right, it is too hard to tell which icon is currently selected. Plus you can't delete icons for unused applications.

Eves apple

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
I preferred the older version, the new one is a bit clunky but I do like the colours.
And it's not a Pioneer plasma.

CupertinoRat

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
It is becoming very clear that without Steve in charge things are going downhill rather quickly.

I'm sorry but you can't call milking same old designs (see 4S or iPad 3) innovation. And now bringing back old UI rejected by Steve.

Shame.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.

You say this like the old Apple TV design was genius and in the few months since Jobs' death, Apple completely revamped the design by committee. Fact is, the interface has always been a problem, and the Apple TV has never been a success. The new design is lipstick on a pig--lipstick, in all likelihood, approved by Jobs himself.

My point is simply this: it's one thing to say that the Apple TV interface sucks. It's another thing to say it sucks because Jobs isn't in charge anymore. The former is perfectly reasonable; the latter is bordering on Cult of Jobs nonsense.

It seems highly unlikely to me that the production pipeline allows for the possibility that someone other than Jobs approved this revamp of the interface. This thread is a case study in people seeing what they want to see (namely, a decline in decision making at Apple following Jobs' death).

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
In other words, this reminded him of something Jobs didn’t like 5 years ago. It has something in common.

It’s obviously not the same thing that was rejected 5 years ago.

There’s probably an interesting nugget of Apple historical trivia hiding here, but I doubt we’ll find it.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
There are elements of the first Apple TV OS which was essentially Front Row that I miss and while I got used to the Apple TV 2 OS as well, I can also see how this one leads the way for apps. I don't know how I feel about the icon based design. Ironically, even though they changed the front page interface each time, the sub level design (especially within Computers) has not changed. I can't bring up my movies in billboard. And I still don't know how I feel about the Computers categorization instead of My Movies, My TV Shows, My Music under each of the respective headings.

I totally agree, I want my content to be intuitively in there respective spots, as long as they are on my homeshared macs. less clicks to get to content better UX.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I for one don't like this design majorly because of the stale icons. They obviously are colourful but look ridiculously simplistic without an appropriate gradient. The rest of the UI is fantastic. It's just the icons that bug me.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
It is becoming very clear that without Steve in charge things are going downhill rather quickly.

I'm sorry but you can't call milking same old designs (see 4S or iPad 3) innovation. And now bringing back old UI rejected by Steve.

Shame.

Interesting, seeing as Steve did work on the iPhone 4S and probably knew something about the new iPad (of course that's just conjecture)

Some people need to get a grip.

:rolleyes:

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Wirelessly posted

I.e. without Steve, Apple will lose that sense of design and perfect UI experience? Ouch.

Lek

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
I just LOVE how Apple continues to use the Pioneer Plasma as an image to represent their TV. I truly hope they are paying Pioneer for this. But the most hilarious thing about all this, they FINALLY realized the Kuro TV they were using looked so dated with it's massive bezel that they now edited the image with a smaller bezel. Oh Apple, when will you start inventing your own products.

I have a Kuro and I LOVE the bigger bezel, it's the most elegant TV ever designed. I'll keep it and its perfect picture quality over I'm sure Apple's forthcoming average picture quality with I'm sure great ergonomics and ease of use.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

Shame.

1. Design isn’t how it looks, it’s how it works. Changing a perfectly good shape is easy—that isn’t true innovation. That’s why Apple design is better than flavor-of-the-month design from other companies who just dream up new shells (or copy Apple’s old designs). Apple doesn’t need to be like the companies that are struggling.

2. You’ve never seen a company use the same casing for two years? Apple has re-used excellent casings far longer than that—look at the entire Mac lineup. Innovation goes on inside, and in the software, as it should. Nothing about making the new iPad look like the old one is at all different than Apple ever was. Steve Jobs was most definitely involved in the new iPad, and in the re-use of other great Apple casings in past years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.