Former Mophie Employees Launch New Eco-Friendly Charging Accessory Brand 'Nimble'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A trio of former Mophie/Zagg employees today launched a new accessory brand called "Nimble," which is aimed at crafting smartphone and tech accessories that are environmentally friendly (via CNET).

[​IMG]

Those behind Nimble include Ross Howe (Nimble CEO), Jon Bradley (creative director), and Kevin Malinowski (brand marketing), who were all originally part of Mophie when the company merged with Zagg in 2016. The creators of Nimble say they didn't mesh with the company following the Zagg merger, and left in March 2018.

Now, the Nimble brand will sell products that are similar to Mophie's devices, including wireless charging pads, portable battery packs, and charging cables. All of Nimble's products will be available on Amazon and its own website, but the company is avoiding retail outlets to reduce prices and compete with budget brands like Aukey and Anker, although they won't be quite as cheap.
    Nimble products include a 10,000 mAh Portable Charger at $49.95, 13,000 mAh at $59.95, 20,000 mAh at $69.95, and 26,000 mAh at $99.95. Each of these support fast charging for iPhone with 18W power delivery, can charge multiple devices at once, and include a magnetic cable management system that attaches to the bottom of the charger.

[​IMG]

The other main product line is a series of wireless charging pads, including the Wireless Pad for $39.95, Wireless Dual Pad for $49.95, Wireless Stand for $49.95, and Wireless Travel Kit for $59.95. These can wirelessly charge an iPhone at 7.5W, but Nimble gives no mention of official Qi compatibility as of yet.

[​IMG]

Other Nimble accessories include a Dual USB Wall Charger for $19.95, USB Wall Charger for $9.95, and USB-C Cable 2-Pack for $12.95-$17.95. On the bottom of every product page, Nimble highlights how much the devices would be if sold at retail in its attempt to be as transparent as possible in regards to its pricing structure.

[​IMG]

On its "Why We're Different" webpage, Nimble mentions working only with "thoughtful suppliers" who share its values on workers' rights and sustainable materials. The company also says it supports eco-friendly packaging, better materials to reduce its carbon footprint, and a "one-for-one" tech recovery project. In regards to that project, Nimble sends a pre-paid return envelope with every device you buy, allowing you to send old or obsolete electronics directly to its e-waste recycling partner.

Nimble's website supports Apple Pay during the checkout process and offers free shipping and returns to customers in the United States.

Article Link: Former Mophie Employees Launch New Eco-Friendly Charging Accessory Brand 'Nimble'

2. kplayaja macrumors newbie

kplayaja

I think I'll just stick with Anker, thanks.

3. nzahn1 macrumors newbie

nzahn1

The products actually look pretty good. I like the integrated cable management, and the nod to a softer design aesthetic by using fabrics. However, I don't see any MFi certifications on their page yet, so I'm going to hold off on ordering anything.

4. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

This really grabbed my attention. Prices are pretty good. And the focus on being eco-friendly is a nice bonus. I wouldn’t mind giving them a shot(I’m pretty OCD about buying from new companies too).

5. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

It already costs less than $1 a year in electricity to charge your iPhone each day from the factory charger. How much more eco-friendly are you going to get?

6. matty.p macrumors 6502

So if I buy one of their cables I can send in a frayed cable back and they’ll recycle it? I like that.

7. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

Wow, great looking devices...

I'm still rocking an iPhone 7+, I keep hearing about wireless chargers having to be in a "sweet spot" to charge. This concerns me that wireless charging might end up being a bad user experience. I guess time will only tell with these mats if a "sweet spot" is required for charging. I'm looking forward to wireless charging if I can find mats that offer a good user experience.

8. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Sounds good. Nothing more energy efficient than a wireless charger or as friendly to the environment as a huge gaping lithium mine! /s

9. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

It's not as horrible as you think. (With an iPhone) as long as you're roughly centered, you're good to go.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

The word “premium” is overused. We’re essentially talking about battery packs here.

11. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

And now that Anker is available in retail outlets it's better as I can avoid Amazon altogether.

12. MvdM macrumors 6502

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

My thoughts exactly.

These guys sell a good pitch yet there isn’t proof in the mettle.

Cheaper costs allowing for better technology, yet nothing better offered. Have a search on amazon and there is a few competitors using fabrics for Qi portable chargers.

Packaging ... if their larger competitors follow suit then where will they be at? There is nothing gained .... $99US for a 26’000mah Qi charger?! I found one on Amazon for $50! I could find another for maybe $70.

14. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Ok...I'll be the one...that wallpaper with the lake...anyone know where it can be found?

15. matty.p macrumors 6502

I think the argument would be if you were going to buy one anyways you’d be slightly better buying one of these. But don’t buy one of these if you weren’t going to buy one anyway just because they’re “ecofriendly.”

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Unlike yesterday’s Tesla announcement of another battery charger, this actually has a nice differentiator. It’s almost like fair trade coffee. I feel a lot better knowing they’re doing the right thing.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 29, 2018 ---
    Straight from the MR article quoting the company website:

17. tennisproha macrumors 65816

This is amazing. It’s the way to which most companies will have to innovate towards in the future. Looking at the whole supply chain and taking a most holistic approach to manufacturing. Who new when you actually take out an antiquated business model, it’s actually better for the company. There’s no reason they won’t get MFi certification. I’ll be rooting for them. You should be too.

18. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

My understanding is that eco-friendly refers to the overall impact on the environment. This includes manufacturing, shipping, use, and disposal.

Nimble mentions working only with "thoughtful suppliers" who share its values on workers' rights and sustainable materials. The company also says it supports eco-friendly packaging, better materials to reduce its carbon footprint, and a "one-for-one" tech recovery project. In regards to that project, Nimble sends a pre-paid return envelope with every device you buy, allowing you to send old or obsolete electronics directly to its e-waste recycling partner.

On the surface these are good things, but we are talking about a business so one ought to evaluate the motive. Here Nimble wants customers to send in their old chargers to be "recycled" but I bet pennies to nickles they refurbish your old charger and sell it in another country. I bet they use this eco-friendly program to justify their markup. Imagine how people would react if they didn't get something for their old car when they bought a new one?