Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theLemur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Hi guys,

After 15 years of using windows (and a few using linux) I've finally had enough of the windows drama and decided to buy a MacBook (the base model). I'm very pleased with it thus far, a little laggy at times, but I plan to upgrade the ram to 4gb since it's just so cheap now.

Unfortunately, there's still one windows program that I need to be able to run for my business.

I used bootcamp to partition and I then installed xp pro sp1. I was able to access it without much trouble, even though I later read that I should have used sp2. I was able to get most things working, but after trying for hours I couldn't get the network card to function. I tried to update it to sp2, but it gives an error about lack of free space, and how another 4 megs is required (even though there's many gigs free). I searched the error and it appears to be related to bootcamp, and I figured it's another sp1 related. Since my sp2 cd is all scratched up, I tried three things:

1) I slipstreamed SP2 into my SP1 install files and created a new cd, however bootcamp doesn't recognize the cd and doesn't initialize the install. I'm afraid if I do it manually windows will overwrite the master boot record.

2) I downloaded a new copy of SP2 but bootcamp still doesn't recognize it.

3) I installed the demo of parallels, pretty cool how it works, but it keeps freezing on me, and I have to do a hard reboot.

Any advice as far as how to proceed to run my little windows program?

Thanks,
Dan

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
Can you delete your XP part and start over with BootCamp?

I would definitely download a SP2 image, if you need one send me a PM, and then start over.
Did you insert your leopard install DVD as your supposed to so the special drivers can be installed?

theLemur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Can you delete your XP part and start over with BootCamp?

I would definitely download a SP2 image, if you need one send me a PM, and then start over.
Did you insert your leopard install DVD as your supposed to so the special drivers can be installed?

Hi Kelly, I actually did go ahead and delete the partition a moment ago to start from scratch. I'll shoot you a PM, every image I obtain just doesn't seem to be recognized by bootcamp.

I did insert the dvd, and some drivers worked, but the utility wouldn't run because it was SP1 and didn't have some updated windows installer that it needed.

Thanks

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
No Problem, I just have the XP SP2.iso from a Dell Installer CD.
I'll give you a link to it in PM. :)

Hope it works for you. Worked for me.
You will of course need to have a valid XP License code :p

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
I am uploading a SP2 image and will link to it via PM if anyone wants it.
Will take about an hour but -shrug-.

This is XP_PRO_SP2.iso. I don't have home edition, but I never liked home :p

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah I had that one too, on cd, but there was a bootcamp related hard drive space error message that I couldn't get around. I'd describe it but I don't want to relive the headaches of today haha
My advice is slipstream to SP2 using nLite and don't use the command line method.

theLemur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
You're not the first person that has tried the command line method and had trouble recognizing the disc.

http://www.nliteos.com/

I have an unattended install ready. I just sit back and let it do the work once I pop it in.

With that unattended install disk, is there any risk that windows will overwrite the boot record? Do you still do this through bootcamps installer?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
With that unattended install disk, is there any risk that windows will overwrite the boot record? Do you still do this through bootcamps installer?
Boot Camp is only a live disk partition application and nothing more.

Once you have your drive partitioned you can handle the Windows side just like any other Windows machine.

theLemur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Boot Camp is only a live disk partition application and nothing more.

Once you have your drive partitioned you can handle the Windows side just like any other Windows machine.

So I can just boot from a windows disk and install and I will still be able to get to the apple boot loader? I thought I read somewhere that the master boot record would get overwritten.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
So I can just boot from a windows disk and install and I will still be able to get to the apple boot loader? I thought I read somewhere that the master boot record would get overwritten.
After the drive is partitioned (Using Boot Camp Assistant or Disk Utility from a clean install) you can play with the second partition as you see fit.

The Apple boot loader is in firmware BTW.

theLemur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
After the drive is partitioned (Using Boot Camp Assistant or Disk Utility from a clean install) you can play with the second partition as you see fit.

The Apple boot loader is in firmware BTW.

that's great, that alleviates some concerns i had!

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
Ok, link sent.

anyone who needs the image can PM me.
I think its against the rules to link to the file in my post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.