Forthcoming apps. and MMS.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skinnylegs, Jun 20, 2008.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Anybody hear anything about an MMS app. being available?

2. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

If MMS does come it will be in the winter. It seems like alot of people really care about MMS so just like custom ringtones, Apple will approve of an MMS app several months after the iPhone's release.

5. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Custom ringtones didn't come because everyone wanted it. In the MWSF 2007 keynote video there's a "Ringtones" tab in iTunes. This didn't appear in iTunes until custom ringtones were announced last February.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple won't delay applications deliberately.

7. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

why wouldn't it come out in july or as soon as possible. i hope someone makes an app with it I want MMS

8. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I called Apple and asked them about this. The response was kind of positive, the girl said that it's an issue they are intent to resolve, and hinted to iPhone2.0

I'm going to stay positive on this one and hope that it's in the upgrade.

9. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I hope this is true!

10. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

It's already been out for a year. Thats 12 of your 'several months' right there.

There is no technical reason why the iPhone can't do MMS (Current or next gen). Many of the cheapest phones from other manufacturers can do it, and have been able to for quite some time, so it's verging on the embarrassing that the Apple iPhone can not. Apple really needs to chop chop on this one.

11. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

It could have something to do with AT&T charging $20/mo for the existing iPhone. In their other plans, the MMS is a feature that they charge for. When they go to $30/mo plus $5.00 for 200 txt messages, they may allow it.

12. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Well, doesn't AT&T kinda have to do with MMS? But then again, there is a jailbreak app for MMS, so how exactly does it work?

13. DreamPod macrumors 65816

MMS is not possible as an App, unless Apple themselves releases it. The official iPhone SDK doesn't provide access to the cell network, thus there's no way to intercept an incoming MMS. As well, the offical iPhone SDK doesn't allow running an App in the background, so even if one was created, you'd have to be running it all the time to be guarateed of receiving an MMS.

It's possible on jailbroken phones because the apps written for those have no limitations at all - those apps can take over the entire system and do things Apple doesn't want developers to do.

14. YoungKevin macrumors member

hopefully that will be one of the secret features Apple will release closer forwards the release

15. Kinderhauz macrumors member

Does anyone actually use MMS with any kind of frequency? I think a lot of the features people are clamoring for in the iPhone are features they wouldn't even use if they were on the phone. To me, MMS is pretty pointless. Likewise stereo bluetooth (unless you are using it to listen to music while you work out, and I don't know anyone who works out with their iPhone).

16. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I use MMS daily and Bluetooth file transfers, alas the iPhone as neither.

Des any one else think that the whole point of the iphone was popularity through obscurity, as soon as they release it in all these countries people wont bother because the fashionability will have been lost and people will get phones with real features?

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Wait, you don't ever listen to your music in stereo? Well, there are those of us with two ears that would like stereo in our music :p I just don't see why anybody would say stereo is a pointless feature people wouldn't use.

18. theHunter macrumors newbie

Evidently lots of people use MMS or there would not be so many threads about it, also I workout with my iphone, I use the shure headphones but would like a bluetooth stereo headset due to wires getting in the way all the time.

19. Jestered macrumors 6502

Why do people actually believe that some phone jockey at Apple has this kind of information??? No one that answers the phone at Apple knows anymore than the rest of us.

20. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

21. Kinderhauz macrumors member

This is the only conceivable use that I can think of for stereo bluetooth on the iPhone. The cord gets in the way a lot while working out. But otherwise, a regular headphone jack with a cord should be fine. I think you are a rarity in working out with your iPhone. Most people I see use a shuffle or a nano when they work out. I'd be afraid of dropping my iPhone.

22. toxicbomber macrumors 6502a

Nope... no MMS.. but a nifty shortcut on the camera app. :p

23. Kinderhauz macrumors member

Bluetooth I can see. But MMS? What do you use MMS for on a daily basis?

24. DreamPod macrumors 65816

The only conceivable use???? How about, say, listening to your music in stereo? Without any annoying cables? I use A2DP *every day* at work with my current phone (Helio Ocean). It's so damn convenient. I don't see why *ANYBODY* would defend Apple on this, the idea of including it just makes sense, and as it's a software upgrade and not hardware, it wouldn't cost them a dime. The only reason I can think of that Apple doesn't include A2DP is so that people can't use their high-end bluetooth headsets, and instead have to use Apple's proprietary bluetooth headsets.

And wow, you must be rich, buying a second music player just for when you are working out, when you have one you carry with you all the time anyways. I jog with my phone, I don't see the problem, it's never fallen out of my pocket :p Yes, if it's wireless, you can keep it in a pants pocket and thus not worry about it falling. Or on the desk near you. Or even in your locker at the gym, if your headset receiver is good enough!

25. Kinderhauz macrumors member

OK I am sold on stereo bluetooth, they should definitely have that (people on here are saying it has low quality?)

On MMS though, I still don't see why you can't just email your drunken party pictures and your friends can enjoy them whenever they feel like checking them out.