fortnight in Japan. any tips, to dos?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NewGenAdam, Aug 21, 2009.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I'm soon travelling to Japan for two weeks, staying mainly in Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima.

Has anybody been, or does anybody have any recommendations for what to do, sights to see, places to visit?
    I've got the DK guide book, and (in the effective absence of mobile data), I've downloaded some Lonely Planet and offline wiki apps, which I have and will digest. Not least in the 13 hour flight!

But personal advice is second to none. Anyone got any?
    Can't wait to see this amazing country. Never been before

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I just got back from Japan like.....2 days ago. I've been there like 7 times, so I know my way around a bit. ;)

I say go to Kyoto, and stay in the area for at least 5 days. I went there my 2nd time in Japan, and I swear that I saw more of historic Japan at that time than at any other time. Very memorable. Spend 5-7 days there. On some of those days, make a side trip to Nara. It's the first capital of Japan, and you'll enjoy the deer walking around the streets. ;)
    Kyoto is the second (and previous) capital of Japan, and has a LOT to see. You won't be bored. There are a few world heritage sites in Kyoto itself!!!

Osaka is OK. It's boring, but I guess it's a good time to shop, eat Okonomiyaki (and its far more famous in Osaka and the Kansai region than, say, Tokyo), and go to Universal Studios Japan. :)

Tokyo? Go to Asakusa. Also go to Kamakura, which is a city in the Kanagawa Prefecture (and is beside Tokyo). Yokohama is the big city beside Tokyo, and I think it's the 2nd biggest city in Japan. Kamakura is only a short distance away (60-90 minutes, I'm guessing) by regular train. The trip may even be shorter than that. Shop in Shibuya. There's also an Apple Store there, although it's hard to find if you don't know your way around.

Are you there in August? There are so many fireworks festivals ('hana-bi') in Japan during the summer, you wouldn't believe it. There's supposed to be around 200 festivals in August alone!! I just went to a major festival in Suwa, and it's supposed to be one of the biggest, and best, in Japan. That probably makes it one of the best shows in the world!!!!

If you can find a show, go and enjoy it.

3. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Well seems you know and like the land of the rising sun! Good (7th!) trip?

We're actually staying in Kyoto for 5 days, and Nara for 2! good, I was hoping there'd be history around there. Doing Osaka for a day by train, the aquarium, look around then on.
    Mm I've eaten okonomiyaki! although it was at Yo sushi... Trying the authentic cuisine will be cool, and a nice benchmark.

Hadn't thought of Asakusa or Kamakura. Wikipedia suggests they're lovely! Now on my list ^^ thanks

Our flight leaves in 12 hours (!) so yes, we're there in August, but there's now not much time to find any hanabi. Internet cafes, perhaps

Arigatou Abstract-san -_-

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There really isn't much to see. There's a ship you can take around the harbour, but it's a bit boring.

I really don't know what I did there other than go to an area named Shinsaibashi for shopping. It's a sight to see anyway, I guess.

Oh, and at Shinsaibashi, right near Shinsaibashi station, there's a mini-area named America-mura (or America Village), which tries to sell all this American-style clothes and stuff. Theres even an American Apparel there, if I remember correctly. The Apple Store is around there as well, if you're interested. Apple is a great place to check the internet when you're in Japan. ;)

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Please tell us how your trip goes, NewGenAdam. I'd like to hear about it.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Have a wonderful time, OP. Just arrived back after a two month vacation in Japan...now I gotta work!! Still have a valid visa for another 12 months :) Returning again soon.. but only after the US trip.

I hear your asking about Do's and Don'ts? There are non!! Just do everything and don't ever think about not doing something!!

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Get a copy of the Rough Guide to Japan and leave the DK one at home ;)

Other than that definitely get a Japanese Rail pass, just the train to/from Tokyo/Kyoto/Hiroshima means it'll pay for itself. Note however that you can't use Nozomi (the fastest) Shinkansen, but otherwise you should be able to just get on the train without a reservation - the unreserved carriages in my experience are generally pretty empty (though if you have a family a reservation might be worthwhile - you can easily get one at the ticket office). For when the trains go and how long they take look at the JR website, press the English button to look in English.

With regards to sights you can see my blog for what I got up to.

If you have children I'd say that standard Japanese internet cafes were best avoided - unless upskirt shots of "schoolgirls" are your thing - and that was opposite Tiffany's in Shinjuku ;).