Fortnightly Challenge August 6 - 19 : Reflection

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

The Topic Schedule

August 6-19: Reflection
    August 20-September 2: Water
    September 3-16: Architecture

Dale

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Me 'n my shadow-who's taking whose picture?

Dale, thanks for getting this next phase organized and going. here's my first contribution -

[​IMG]

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

4. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Not shot specifically for the challenge but one of my old favorites ...

[​IMG]
    45mm, f/9.5, 1/30s, iso200

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Nice! Great light and colours.
    PS, congrats on 500 posts :cool:

6. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Thanks! Twice :)
    I guess I now need to convince my cat to perform a certain task I have in mind for him ... ;)

7. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I took this during the challenge period, but it only occurred to me afterwards that it was relevant to the challenge. That still counts, right? :p

[​IMG]

8. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

^^ Love it, great range of colours and shades, perfect use of the pond :D

Passing storm light:

[​IMG]

Pentax K20D - 1/2s - f/16.0 - ISO100 - 105 mm

It's amazing the difference between exporting PNG and JPEG in Aperture.
    Something is going wrong with the JPEG export for me, my pictures turn out soft.
    Exporting from PNG -> JPEG in preview keeps detail. Of course that won't bring my oof foreground back to focus in this picture :eek:

9. Keleko macrumors 68000

It certainly does count.

Now it makes me wonder what it would have looked like if you had lowered the camera to be closer to the puddle for more reflection showing.

10. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I do have one like that:

(Click to expand)

[​IMG]

I like this one too, but not because of there is more of the puddle, which as you can see doesn't add much of interest beyond the reflection. I went for this composition because I liked having longer lines of corn and road, but then the mountains have less presence in the frame. Maybe it's not much of a loss, though. I'll be interested to hear which one others prefer.

At least, I think this is what you mean by a "lowered" camera (i.e. here it's angled down and zoomed out more). Moving the camera itself lower to the ground caused the corn to obscure more of the church and all of the mountains, so that angle didn't appeal to me at all. I actually had to shoot with my center column fully extended and the camera well over my head in order to see over the corn.

11. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I like this but it's too bad the puddle doesn't go all the way up to the base of the dirt cliff. The one thing I might try is to make the dirt a bit darker, deeper, and have a little more definition. something to put more contrast in the tones so it becomes a bigger part of the image.

12. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I like the first one better for composure with the puddle. I like the second one better overall because of the reasons you stated with the longer lines but I do think the puddle distracts a bit from this image though. I'd rather see this one with a dry dirt road or just a wet dirt road so that the dirt is darker (with no puddle). There are some great analogies (biblical) with the church and the field ready to be harvested so that would be an interesting theme to keep working with. It might make a great image once the corn has all dried up as well.

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I like your Biblical concept and have no doubt there is a location around here where it could work; seems like churches and cornfields are a package deal in these parts. I wouldn't go without the puddle for this particular composition, however, because I'm not fond of having substantial barriers between the viewer and the subject without something to provide "access." That could mean an opening in the barrier (an open gate in a fence, for example) or, as in this case, the reflection that brings the subject to the other side of the barrier.

Anyway, many thanks for your thoughts, JDDavis! :)

14. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I appreciate the comments. If I have time tonight, I might see if I can tweak the image a bit with some PP to see if I can accomplish what you suggested. The "puddle" was actually a little eddy that resulted from the incoming tide hence a small ripple seen just at the middle of the gray sand border. I had waited for the ebb so that the water was as still as possible before taking the shot.

15. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Just realized that I posted a photo without commenting on any others. My bad! So here we go...

I second the thanks.

I'm not sure that a shadow really qualifies as a reflection, but it's similar enough in spirit to be at home in this challenge, I suppose. The contrast of the shadow against the light-colored road really works well here, and the road helps lead the eye deeper into the frame, where we get lost in the shadows of the trees--nice. Next time you might try a more intriguing shadow, with arms or legs doing something unexpected. You might even try using a 2-second timer and hanging the camera in front of you from a camera strap. gnd once posted an image like that, so he may be able to tell you more about how he got it to work.

Really nice colors and shapes. It works well as an abstract, so we probably don't need that little window into the distance at the upper right.

Nice composition and a good exposure for some challenging light. It would be ideal if more of the center of the flower was included in the part most lit.

Ordinarily, a branch sticking up in front of the subject like that would be a distraction, but here it helps to ground the photo and to 'explain' the illusion.

A subtle take on the theme. I really like how the swell rising at the right balances with the boat on the left.

I presume you've checked your export sharpening settings for JPEG output?

16. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

17. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

18. bob118 macrumors newbie

Disney California Adventure

Sorry I haven't posted any fresh photos, but I had this one in my pile from a tip out to California a couple of years ago, thought it was really reflective and I hope you enjoy it

Attached Files:

19. TheReef, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

1024px export was only on quality "10", not "12". :eek:
    I think this ranks up there with the situation of turning my camera on at a location and realising there's no SD card in it, nor the grip :p

I see you've explored these barns a few times which is great, you've captured them in great light here.
    I think the top half of the image works great, the bottom half (foreground) does have alternating colour of light brown and green which adds interest, but I think it stands out a bit repetitive compared to the top half. That water could break it up, perhaps walk slightly forward and zoom out, so it's more prominently captured (atm it appears to me as though it's lost in the flat perspective), or look for an interesting foreground element like a flower, bird, tree, rock etc. That's just my opinion :) - it's a nice pic.

I can't pick a favourite here, I like how the church is a more prominent subject of the shot taken at a longer focal length, but the wider shot sets the church better in the landscape I think. That said I think the leading line of the field leads away from the church, so it's impact isn't as strong, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as a whole it fits together well IMO.

Here's a slightly different version, I think I prefer this version for it's more pronounced alternating layers, interested as to what others think :)

[​IMG]

20. Keleko macrumors 68000

I agree as well. The wave works to your advantage here.

I finally got a picture for the challenge, even if it is a typical water reflection. I wish I had something better than my iPhone for this scene, but when I go running in the morning I'm not carrying a DSLR, tripod and accessories for 13 miles.

[​IMG]
    Sunrise on the Lake by Gerg1967, on Flickr

21. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Haven't done one of these in a while, but here's mine:

[​IMG]

22. avro707 macrumors 6502a

I've never participated in one of these messages before. :eek:

[​IMG]
    ISO6400, F/4.0, 1/4sec, 260mm

I tried to get the reflections of the light and colour, but the water wasn't still enough on that evening to make it work as well as I wanted, otherwise they'd be clearer still.

At that kind of shutter speed, I'll take what I can get however, that plane wasn't stationary.

gnd: That's quite a nice shot, very creative use of the reflections in a different way. :)

23. jabbott macrumors 6502

I've been lucky to get some reflection shots recently...

[​IMG]
    View from White Rocks Trail, Boulder, Colorado
    1/320s, f/8, 55mm, ISO 100
    Canon Rebel T2i + 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

The photo above was taken on August 7th. Here is another I took in June:

[​IMG]
    Hot Air Balloons over Boulder, Colorado
    1/200s, f/7.1, 24mm, ISO 100
    Canon Rebel T2i + 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Finally, here is one I took in late July... the sky appears much darker because of the different lens:

[​IMG]
    Blue Lake and Mount Toll, Colorado
    1/500s, f/8, 10mm, ISO 100
    Canon Rebel T2i + 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

Here are my comments for some of the other photos:

mackmgg, it took me a minute to realize the letters on the side of the boat are actually a phrase. Classic. BTW, it might be worth adjusting the white balance so that the boat is less blue (I'm assuming it should be white).

gnd, I really like your reflection shot. Makes me wonder which way is up. :D

BarryJ, I also really enjoyed your flower and lilypad shot. The dappled light and dark background really make the flower stand out.

24. Zh2, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

Zh2 macrumors member

Reflection

Here is my offering... ( I think? )...

Attached Files: