Fortnightly Challenge: Initial Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Designer Dale, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge Topic Thread

The purpose of the Fortnightly Challenge is to help photographers of all skill levels improve and evolve in their photography. Anyone who is willing to take a photo or offer a comment is welcome to participate.

About the Topic Thread:

• This is a collaborative topic thread to be posted every six weeks. Participants will suggest and discuss topics, and a poll at the end will determine which three are the most popular. Those three will constitute the next topic schedule. Any forum member may post a new topic thread upon seeing that the current schedule of topics is about to run out. The last week of the running Challenge is a good time to do this. That will allow plenty of time for discussion.

• Topics on the schedule will appear in succession as active Challenge threads for two weeks (one fortnight) per topic. Any forum member may post the new fortnightly challenge thread once the current one has expired.

• Topics should be general enough to apply to at the wide range of photography talent on the MR Digital Photography forum. Keep them as open to creative interpretation as possible.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are three topics from the old Assignment. Add and discuss.

Cold

Nature in Unexpected Places

Contrasts

2. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I like Nature in Unexpected Places.

I'll put forth Repetition and Signs as possible topics.

Really glad to see this getting started back up again! :D

3. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Perspective
    Thought
    Utility
    Deadly
    Macro
    Patterns
    Alone

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

My input- I like Nature in Unexpected places, repetition, alone or solitary, I'll add inertia, mysterious.

5. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

[insert happy dance for new thread here]

Wow, some great suggestions already. I'll second my two favorites: perspective and mysterious. And I'll propose one: forlorn.

6. mtnbikemama macrumors member

Yay! Fortnightly challenge again! I like Nature in unexpected places, alone, utility and for spring (in some parts of the world :rolleyes: ) how about renewal.

7. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Great ideas, folks!

We have a ton of good ideas in a short time. I will see where we are Monday afternoon and do something about a poll. Since I'm the thread started, I can convert this one to a poll by editing the title. If anyone else wants to open a separate poll thread using these ideas, please do.

My ideas,

Making the Best of Bad Light

"Frame" Your Subject - Placing the subject in some sort of physical frame like a doorway or branches.

Dale

8. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I like these ideas suggested so far:
    Nature in Unexpected places (and how about Unexpected places in Nature? ;))
    Perspective
    Mysterious
    Forlorn

I think "Frame" Your Subject could be a lot of fun.

9. Keleko macrumors 68000

I like the Nature in Unexpected places as well. I'll suggest expanding it a little to be "Beauty in Unexpected places".

10. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Technology
    Ugliness
    Craftsmanship
    Showmanship
    Outside my comfort zone

Paul

11. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Oh wow, we're off! I've been away over the weekend so missed the beginning. Looks like we've got enough good topics for a year already! When we've chosen the first three, suggest we can keep some of the rest on the back boiler so to speak and re-suggest them another time. I'm happy to run with what we've got at the moment, rather than make any new suggestions.

Pity we couldn't have chosen Nature in Unexpected Places before I went away for the weekend. There's an empty house near where I was that has a tree growing in the outside loo! :)

A big thanks to Dale who has organised this and who facilitates this thread from the sidelines with gentle good humour.

12. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Hi. I am looking to establish a poll for the topics, but I'm not sure that a poll can offer more than one vote per user. If not, is a "pick one" poll OK, or should I post the candidate topics and collect votes like happened in the previous Challenge? We have around 20 contributions so far.

Dale

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

A "pick one" poll should do the trick just fine. Everyone votes for their very favorite topic. The three with the most votes are the winners. That ought to work.

14. Designer Dale, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks P. We have plenty of participation so that is the way to go. Look for it in around an hour.

Dale

Edit: The topic poll is up. It allows multiple choices.

Fortnightly Challenge Topic Poll

Note: After a poll is posted, it doesn't seem to be editable. Meaning that new topics can't be added to it. This thread will stay open for more ideas through the week for future reference.

15. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Not sure you can call eight people "plenty," but at least we're moving right along with the process here.