Fortnightly Challenge January 12-25 : Symmetry and Patterns

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

Note: This is a special edition of the Fortnightly Challenge. Topics based on accepted photography guidelines will be supplemented with user suggested topics. For more on the basic rules of good photography look at this link:

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

The Topic Schedule

• Leading Lines December 15 - 28
      [*]Flash Effects/Flash Photography December 29 - January 11 (2012)
    • Symmetry and Patterns January 12 - 25
    • Viewpoint January 26 - February 8

Dale

2. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

A bench at Charles Wright Academy, a top private school.

[​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/160s f/5.6 ISO100 Tokina 12-24 f/4@20mm

This is the last of the usual set of three Challenges. I added the first one of the next set so everyone can keep the next topic in mind while shooting.

Dale

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Dale, I like the way the lines seem to jump right out at you. Here's my contribution:

[​IMG]

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

5. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Nice display of textures. The warm tones of the image work well here. I used to shoot a lot of wood textures back in the day...:)

I like the patterns created by the fire escape ladders down the side of the building.

--------------------------------------------

Mine. From the track at Charles Wright Academy.

[​IMG]

Dale

6. Rich-212 macrumors member

I think this qualifies...

Attached Files:

7. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Wharf. You can see a plane taking off along the runway in the background.

[​IMG]

8. em5photog, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This is a shot of a nearly completed painting, created for a small in Cornwall UK. The artist used pointillism and this shot was taken in her studio. Very difficult to capture properly with the small compact I had to hand.

Attached Files:

10. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Love this one, Reef. the symmetry of the pier and it's leading lines effect just draws you into this picture. Plus the colors are amazing.

11. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Great piece of visualization. I really love the tone, textures and mixed symmetries here.

Nice use of converging lines to create symmetry. I like the colors here, too.

Great feel to this photo. It's simple, but there is a lot to look at in the frame. Nice positioning of the columns within the frame, too.

-------------------------------------

Thanks for keeping things going while I sat through a Winter storm and power outage.

The last I have to post from the Charles Wright Academy track. The surface changes tone depending on how the sun hits it, so I decided to not use any post processing here. It is what you see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dale

12. Keleko macrumors 68000

I really like that you're finding these interesting patterns at what most people would consider a mundane location. Making interesting out of the mundane is part of the fun I have with photography.

I have a lot of pattern shots from the Georgian Terrace Hotel to share. I'm not doing going through them all yet, and I haven't had much time since taking them to go through too many.

Spiral staircase seems to be a cliche for this topic, but I think it wouldn't be right if at least one wasn't posted. :)

[​IMG]