Fortnightly Challenge January 26-February 8: Viewpoint

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

Note: This is a special edition of the Fortnightly Challenge. Topics based on accepted photography guidelines will be supplemented with user suggested topics. For more on the basic rules of good photography look at this link:

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

The Topic Schedule

• Viewpoint January 26 - February 8
  • Geometry in Action February 9 - 22
    [*]Background Depth February 23 - March 7

Dale

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Here I tried the low angle perspective on the lobby furniture at the hotel.

Comment

Rich-212

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Rhino

Took this on a day trip to the V&A museum in London yesterday, specifically for this challenge! Tried lots of different angles, but this perspective seemed to show the full power of the Rhino. It's not very sharp around the edges, but had to take at f1.8 as there was only very low light.

Dale: I like the shadows in the inside of the fish, just shows that it's worth looking up once in a while!

Keleko: This shows the benefits of being brave enough to lie on the floor of your hotel loby! (or do just put your camera on the floor and hope for the best?) I like the way the curves of the table are complemented by the sofa, and the tight focus means it's not lost on that vast room.

Attachments

Comment

NMMC4090

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
over here
Rich-212 - I like the way the Rhino is focus on its head and less focused on the rest of the body because it gives you the impression it is moving towards you. The only thing I would try to add, and I imagine the museum would have thrown you out, was to place one of his legs forward to enforce the feeling he has forward momentum.

A thirsty cat, taken with a iPhone 3gs, but it was the only thing we had at the moment.

Attachments

Last edited:
Comment

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Took this on a day trip to the V&A museum in London yesterday, specifically for this challenge! Tried lots of different angles, but this perspective seemed to show the full power of the Rhino. It's not very sharp around the edges, but had to take at f1.8 as there was only very low light.

Keleko: This shows the benefits of being brave enough to lie on the floor of your hotel loby! (or do just put your camera on the floor and hope for the best?) I like the way the curves of the table are complemented by the sofa, and the tight focus means it's not lost on that vast room.
I sat down on the floor and put the camera on the floor. The great benefit of a swivel LCD screen is it is easy to frame unusual angles like this one.

I like the shallow DOF and viewpoint of the "business end" of the rhino. That is not a shot I would take of a living version.

Comment

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Here I tried the low angle perspective on the lobby furniture at the hotel.

I like the way that the use of a low point of view changes the scale of the chair. It looks like a huge cage of some sort. Nice lighting and framing in this photo.

The pic is from a p&s but I think that it fall into the viewpoint category.
Definably an application of point of view. I like the photo, but the sculpture seems to divide the frame into two sections. I might like it a bit better if the point of the sculpture was inside the frame. this would join the tow large blue fields and keep the eye inside the frame.

Fun shot and a nice use of wide angle to exaggerate the size of the dog's nose. See that little slice of green in the right corner? It looks like it's trapped and wants to get out of the picture. Crop that off and add a little more light to the shadows so we can see the dog better and this would be a better photo. You can do that after the shot with software like Aperture, Lightroom or PhotoShop. I think PhotoShop Elements has a fill light adjustment, too.

Maybe like this?

Attachments

Last edited:
Comment

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Definably an application of point of view. I like the photo, but the sculpture seems to divide the frame into two sections. I might like it a bit better if the point of the sculpture was inside the frame. this would join the tow large blue fields and keep the eye inside the frame.
Good points, not sure that it was possible to do with that camera. It was making the best of what was in hand. That is the St. Louis Arch.

Great contest by the way. Thank you for the concept.

- David

Comment

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Good points, not sure that it was possible to do with that camera. It was making the best of what was in hand. That is the St. Louis Arch.

Great contest by the way. Thank you for the concept.

- David
Thanks. Keep in mind that it's not a contest. We shoot on a theme for two weeks and evaluate each other's photos. It fits between (Awesome) Photo of the Day and the Weekly Contest where no comments are allowed. Feel free to post multiple photos and add as much to the comments as you want.

Dale

Comment

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Thanks. Keep in mind that it's not a contest. We shoot on a theme for two weeks and evaluate each other's photos. It fits between (Awesome) Photo of the Day and the Weekly Contest where no comments are allowed. Feel free to post multiple photos and add as much to the comments as you want.

Dale
Oh, I know. I am planning on posting pics on a regular basis.

Thanks,
David

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.