Fortnightly Challenge January 26-February 8: Viewpoint

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

Note: This is a special edition of the Fortnightly Challenge. Topics based on accepted photography guidelines will be supplemented with user suggested topics. For more on the basic rules of good photography look at this link:

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

The Topic Schedule

• Viewpoint January 26 - February 8
    • Geometry in Action February 9 - 22
      [*]Background Depth February 23 - March 7

Dale

2. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Fish in the Sky. Outside Cheney Stadium, home of the Seattle Mariners AAA team.

[​IMG]

Dale

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

Here I tried the low angle perspective on the lobby furniture at the hotel.

[​IMG]

4. Rich-212 macrumors member

Rhino

Took this on a day trip to the V&A museum in London yesterday, specifically for this challenge! Tried lots of different angles, but this perspective seemed to show the full power of the Rhino. It's not very sharp around the edges, but had to take at f1.8 as there was only very low light.

Dale: I like the shadows in the inside of the fish, just shows that it's worth looking up once in a while!

Keleko: This shows the benefits of being brave enough to lie on the floor of your hotel loby! (or do just put your camera on the floor and hope for the best?) I like the way the curves of the table are complemented by the sofa, and the tight focus means it's not lost on that vast room.

Attached Files:

5. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

[​IMG]

The pic is from a p&s but I think that it fall into the viewpoint category.

6. NMMC4090, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

NMMC4090 macrumors newbie

Rich-212 - I like the way the Rhino is focus on its head and less focused on the rest of the body because it gives you the impression it is moving towards you. The only thing I would try to add, and I imagine the museum would have thrown you out, was to place one of his legs forward to enforce the feeling he has forward momentum.

A thirsty cat, taken with a iPhone 3gs, but it was the only thing we had at the moment.

Attached Files:

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

I sat down on the floor and put the camera on the floor. The great benefit of a swivel LCD screen is it is easy to frame unusual angles like this one.

I like the shallow DOF and viewpoint of the "business end" of the rhino. That is not a shot I would take of a living version.

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

9. Designer Dale, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I like the way that the use of a low point of view changes the scale of the chair. It looks like a huge cage of some sort. Nice lighting and framing in this photo.

Definably an application of point of view. I like the photo, but the sculpture seems to divide the frame into two sections. I might like it a bit better if the point of the sculpture was inside the frame. this would join the tow large blue fields and keep the eye inside the frame.

Fun shot and a nice use of wide angle to exaggerate the size of the dog's nose. See that little slice of green in the right corner? It looks like it's trapped and wants to get out of the picture. Crop that off and add a little more light to the shadows so we can see the dog better and this would be a better photo. You can do that after the shot with software like Aperture, Lightroom or PhotoShop. I think PhotoShop Elements has a fill light adjustment, too.

Maybe like this?

Attached Files:

10. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Good points, not sure that it was possible to do with that camera. It was making the best of what was in hand. That is the St. Louis Arch.

Great contest by the way. Thank you for the concept.

- David

11. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks. Keep in mind that it's not a contest. We shoot on a theme for two weeks and evaluate each other's photos. It fits between (Awesome) Photo of the Day and the Weekly Contest where no comments are allowed. Feel free to post multiple photos and add as much to the comments as you want.

Dale

12. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Oh, I know. I am planning on posting pics on a regular basis.

Thanks,
    David

13. em5photog, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  14. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Nice photos from all. Thanks for your time and effort.

The new Challenge is up. Topic is Geometry

Dale