Fortnightly Challenge July 7 - July 21 : Technology

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

The Topic Schedule

Colors : June 23 - July 6
    Technology : July 7 - 21
    Eyes : July 22 - August 4

Dale

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Am I allowed to start even though it's still the 6th (where I am at least?)

I was going to use this photo for the previous challenge, but it actually works here too:

Backstory: I ordered this red microfiber bag as a gift from the club nintendo. It came and I noticed right away how perfectly it matched my famicom game boy micro. So I busted out my flash and took a photo. Lacking a softbox and trying to soften the light, I put the flash next to me on the table (with diffuser cap) and pointed it at the ceiling, where it would hopefully bounce back a little softer. I also found that a little touch of fill flash from the on-camera flash helped bring the color in the bag out.

A little bit of old-school styling meets new-school technology.

[​IMG]

Ruahrc

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

My first shot is technology in the middle of farmland. This is a coal power plant in the middle of almost nowhere NW GA.

[​IMG]
    Power Farming by Gerg1967, on Flickr

Next shot is the Ford Rouge plant. When it was built it was a technological wonder. It was built with the idea of an "all in one plant". It was meant to take in all the raw materials, process them to parts, and assemble them into completed cars. It made most of the Model T parts, but the final realization of the "all in one plant" didn't happen until the Model A in 1927. Today it is where the Ford F150 is put together.

[​IMG]
    Ford Rouge Plant by Gerg1967, on Flickr

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

This is technology from another age. This is the remnant of a steel frame that was used to lower miners down as far as a mile deep to drill for copper. The round device on the top was where a thick wire cable ran through back to the house that contained the turbine motor that raised and lowered the cab containing miners down to their stations. They are known as gallus frames, but by the miners were often referred to as "gallows" frames because of the danger they were being lowered into. The frames fell silent in 1982. But these steel giants still silently dot the part of town once known as the "Richest Hill in the World."

[​IMG]

disclaimer: I posted this once before-so my apologies, but I may have access to one of the pump houses that the cables from these giants were feed into. If so, stay tuned.

5. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If the thread is up it's fair game. Time has a different meaning here in the land of cyberspace. It's always tomorrow somewhere. POTD is set to officially start on the day change on the International Dateline. That's around three pm here on the West Coast.

Nice pic, by the way.

Dale

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

7:38pm, Friday night. Time to put the shoes on and head out on the town.

[​IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

7. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Bye-Gone Era Technology

This is a follow-up of my July 6th photo of a gallus frame. I was able to get into one of the hoist buildings that controled the cables attached to the cabs that lowered them into the mine. They did so with a bell system that let the hoist operator know what level the the cab was destined to go. This first picture is the hook-up for the bell system:
    [​IMG]

This the the device that let the hoist operator know where the cab was located:
    [​IMG]

And this is one of the two wound cable wheels that where attached giant turbines:
    [​IMG]

I realize these may not be very artistic photos, the areas to line up proper shots and creative angles were off limits and therefore I was very confined within the hoist building. However, the technology in those days to create these devices to operate a mine I find interesting

8. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The top shot has a lot of feel to it. I like the contrasts between the sky and the steam rising from the cooling towers. Nice colors here. I know you say this is a coal plant, but it sure looks nuclear to me.

Second shot isn't as interesting visually, but I would like to see what goes on inside. The lack of steam from the multitude of smokestacks makes it look like it's shut down. Perhaps that's just the effect of modern technology - reduced pollution. Good choice of orientation between both of these shots.

Dale

9. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

For the first shot, IMO The saturation is a little too high. The sky is turning a bit electric blue (no pun intended).

Compositionally, the image to me is a little lacking. It's tough to know how to frame it differently though. One idea would have been to use a wider FL, to reveal more of the coal plant's surrounding environment to enhance the "coal plant in the middle of nowhere" feeling.

I like the composition of the second, although I would have preferred to see the fence post on the right- as it is, the hinges are sort of hanging in mid-air and it would be nice to get some grounding on the right side of the fence. The sliver of fence post peeking on the right edge should either be cut away, or included fully.

As far as the processing goes, at first I immediately thought this was HDR, and the tone mapping is a little heavy. Looking on it further I can see where the local lighting could have produced such a situation but it still seems a little garish/HDR-like for my tastes.

I really like the color here. IMHO you nailed the WB on this one- it imparts a great mood to the scene. Compositionally it works too despite the subject being pretty well centered. I'd only really suggest trying to bring up the shadows in the background mountains a little, and correcting what appears to be a slight lean to the left.

The biggest issue I see here is that the smooth area of the laptop occupies too much of the center where the eye tends to migrate towards. Especially since the most visually distinct areas of the photo, the iphone, touchpad, and the keyboard, are situated opposite each other, across this "featureless expanse". Thus, as your eye moves back and forth between them, it repeatedly passes over this empty space. The smooth part of the laptop just isn't strong enough to serve as effective negative space.

Processing wise I think it's a little dark. The white of the tablecloth is too close in tone to the grey of the laptop.

Just some comments, hope they don't sound too harsh :)

Ruahrc

10. Keleko macrumors 68000

It is a steam plant fueled by coal, so that's probably why it looks nuclear-ish.

The tour doesn't go inside that part of the plant, so I don't know what they do there.

11. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

No thats cool, thanks. I was trying to get a bokeh effect on the shoes to the top left which I guess doesnt get noticed.

12. Keleko macrumors 68000

I edited the coal plant on my iPad. After looking at it in Aperture, it may have a bit too much color. Normally when I post-process I rarely touch saturation. When I it is when I want to achieve a specific "look", and then it is usually to desaturate it. I will, however, frequently boost the vibrance a bit, usually by 20% or so. Vibrance and saturation do different things, and vibrance is the more natural looking of the two. So, back to the editing, it is possible that the app I used (PhotoForge2) on the iPad did a bit too much with the color when I was working on it. This was one of the first pictures I did with that app, so I was still learning how to use it.

Other things I did to that picture is contrast, levels correction, and some shadow boost because the foreground was a bit dark compared to the rest of it. I may go back and re-edit with Aperture to make it more natural looking later. It's a bit late for my photobook, though. :)

As for the composition, I tried three different focal lengths. One was effectively wide open, the one I posted, and then one that only shows 2 of the smokestacks. I liked the middle one the best. The wide angle made the plant too small compared to the surrounding area, so it just felt lost in the background. The up close was too much and not enough of the surrounding area. The middle was "about right".

Now, the factory is an HDR because of the wide variation of lighting there. I wanted to make sure I got the cloudy sky, foreground and factory all exposed right. Because of the heavy clouds, the lighting was all over the place, and the foreground was not in cloud shadow. Perhaps I was a bit over the line with the actual HDR processing itself, but the lighting was quite varied at the time.

13. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Originally Posted by Ruahrc: I really like the color here. IMHO you nailed the WB on this one- it imparts a great mood to the scene. Compositionally it works too despite the subject being pretty well centered. I'd only really suggest trying to bring up the shadows in the background mountains a little, and correcting what appears to be a slight lean to the left.

Ruahrc, Thanks for the kind words and constructive comments. It is really appreciated.:)

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Technology

4GB of ex-RAM goodness after a computer upgrade... This technology allows us to run Aperture 3 and Photoshop alongside Firefox at a more reasonable speed.

This is the first challenge I went out to shoot a photo AFTER seeing the topic. I had this extra ram lying about after getting a new imac so I decided to take a macro photo of the circuitry. That didnt work so well, so I brought the stick outside and put it in the grass during sunset, with the sun to the back of the ram, camera front.

Used a 580exII off camera held above the RAM with the bounce card out, bouncing straight down on the RAM as evident by the shadows. One of the few times a concept in my head turned out like I envisioned it!

[​IMG]

Keleko- Apart from your photos being pretty awesome, the history behind the actual "technology" is interesting. The description added to them, for sure.

fcortese- Is this in Butte MT? The sky is amazing...

15. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Yep. Guess, that's why it's called Big Sky country:);)

16. Tracheotomy Bob macrumors member

So after picking up the old computer from the parental units place I thought the logo should make a good picture...

[​IMG]
    Speccy logo by Tracheotomy Bob, on Flickr

...but actually I don't think it's all that interesting really. If anything it highlights the dirt on the case from years of use. After a bit of pondering it occurred to me that I very rarely use proper 'true' colours in any of my pictures and that might work to my advantage this time:

[​IMG]
    True Video by Tracheotomy Bob, on Flickr

Consequently I focused on the 'True Video' button with somewhat less that true video. I actually quite like this shot but you guys know an awful lot more about composition and, well, everything than I do so feedback is appreciated.

From the above pictures I actually quite like Ruahrc's Nintendo picture but that's because I've got Donkey Kong Jr Game and Watch at home so I have a real soft spot for Nintendo. I also like Keleko's Fort Rouge pictures for the colours –*like I said I don't really do proper colours. :)

tb

17. fitshaced, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

18. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Now this brings back some memories...of course I only had a 48k ...was the hard keyboard version tho!

19. mtbdudex, Jul 14, 2011

mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Breaking the rules here.....but this is what started it all for us Mac people, so what the heck!

Self portrait of me in undergrad engineering school, this was for one of my "fun" electives, Winter 1985 semester......B&W Photography.
    I had fun taking and processing this.....its a scan of course.

Originally posted here Oct-2009 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8707533#post8707533

1984 128k mac runing the 1st MacOS on 400k floppy and that's MacPaint on screen for my solid mechanics lab report.
    [​IMG]

hey - I'm using this as my avatar also......guess I'm a sentimental geek.....

20. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

awesome awesome awesome

21. Waybo macrumors regular

<sigh!>
    A 10-MG external harddrive had plenty of space back then! I hate to throw things out, but I did ditch my old SE. Wish I still had it ...

I just noticed ... 1984!?! Has it been that long?!?

I can't count how many Mac's I've owned since then. For a while, I even worked at home using my trusty Mac, to run a Windows 2000 Server and a network with about 7 PC's. At then end of a work day, I was always happy to switch back to Mac Mode!

Thanks for bringing back memories!

22. Koffie, Jul 14, 2011

Koffie macrumors newbie

My Harman Kardon Subwoofer
    [​IMG]
    Canon EOS Kiss Digital X|ISO 400|50mm(1.4)|f/4.0|1/60↵
    [​IMG]
    Canon EOS Kiss Digital X|ISO 100|50mm(1.4)|f/22|30sec↵

And bicycles! before setting off on a biketrip with friends
    [​IMG]
    Canon EOS Kiss Digital X|ISO 200|50mm(1.4)|f/1.4|1/1600↵

Bose QC2
    [​IMG]
    Canon EOS Kiss Digital X|ISO 1600|50mm(1.4)|f/1.4|1/160↵

I must be honest though, and say I had already shot these images. Especially the Harman Kardon pictures I shot just to play around as I'm very new to DSLR photography.
    The pictures are not really post-processed (still looking around how to and which programs etc.) even though i might have touched the "Enhance" button in iPhoto for some pictures.

I really like the different interpretations of Technology. The only thing I could directly think of was high-tech ofcourse...

23. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Bizarre, I have the same headphones and took a snap of them last night and was going to uploading it but didnt. I'll do that once I get home.

24. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

25. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced