Fortnightly Challenge June 23 - July 6 : Colors

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Designer Dale, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

The Topic Schedule

Colors : June 23 - July 6
    Technology : July 7 - 21
    Eyes : July 22 - August 4

Dale

Mine to start.
    [​IMG]

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

^^ Pic has great detail and soft, subtle colors. Very crisp looking shot.

As for mine, wish the buildings weren't in the shot but, meh. Wasn't sure which angle to snap this pic from.

[​IMG]

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

I took a lot of shots of this balloon release. This is the one with the composition I liked the most. This is also the first picture I started using the Topaz tools with, so I was hoping to get some comments on it. Since this shot was made at about 11am, the color was very washed out in the original raw, which is what I wanted to bring back in the editing. I was wondering if I went too far with editing it for color and noise reduction.

[​IMG]
    Balloon Release by Gerg1967, on Flickr

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I took this, but can't remember what this experiment in Bokeh originally was. :p

[​IMG]
    Blue Shift

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

^^^ I've somewhat become less of a fan of straight bokeh with no focal point in the picture itself. The colors are nice, though. You can always use it as a bokeh background for something else that has no good background.

I took this one today (also my picture for today) inspired by this topic challenge.

I imported it and edited it completely on my iPad as a test to see how that works. I'm pretty happy with the results. I used PhotoForge2 for the editing.

[​IMG]
    Can You Eat Just One by Gerg1967, on Flickr

6. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

^ Normally I'd agree, but this is my first bokeh-only shot and I found it interesting in its own right. :p

Too much red on your pile, isn't that supposed to be the rarer colour? Something about the focus doesn't feel quite right to me, I think if it were on the upper 2/3 of the image, it'd more right. Highly subjective, though. I keep feeling like my eyes are getting drawn out of the frame by the defocused areas near the top. Maybe a mild vignette?

7. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I like the depth of focus and the composition of the balloons. The pavilion roof is a little distracting because it seems cutoff or unfinished. I think the colors and noise reduction are great. Everything looks really smooth. If I was being super picky I'd say the tops of the trees have a bit of a glow like perhaps you darkened the sky or brushed in some sort of filter. The red balloons against the sky have a bit of a cartoonish feel to them like they have no texture. I don't think the red is overdone. It looks like the Topaz plug in does a great job. That was just the feeling I got with the edit on the red colors.

8. Keleko macrumors 68000

The roof was pretty much unavoidable because of where the balloons were. I picked the shot that had the whole roof in the frame as the best I could do with it.

The glow on the trees is probably from Topaz details or adjust to bring in more micro contrast and detail.

The cartoonish look is intentional. That is a bit of feel I wanted with the balloons in general, so I'm okay with it there.

Thanks for the comment.

9. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Blooming vine thing on the back deck. I have no idea what it is. Wish I had a macro lens.

[​IMG]

10. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Cool. While I'm sure that shot would look amazing if it were really sharp I think it looks really neat with it as soft as it is. Gives a bit of an other worldly feel. Nice.

11. Keleko macrumors 68000

This has a really neat other-worldly feel to it. I like it.

Really cool looking flower whatever it is. That's a very deep purple to it. I like the angle you used in the photo.

12. zildjansg, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

zildjansg macrumors 6502

taken 4 years ago when I was in Little India. The colors of these lovely indian garlands(flower necklace) caught my attention.In Hindi, it is called a "haar" or a "maala".Generally, maala refers to a smaller one (necklace) and haar refers to a larger one(garland).
    [​IMG]

13. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

14. Waybo, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

Waybo macrumors regular

For some reason, in a good way, this makes me think of a soldier! I wouldn't have thought to shoot a bud this tight, but I quite like this.

One of your better shots. Cool!

I hear you on the macro, but I believe this shot of a CLEMENTIS is quite good. I wish all of the petals were there, or, if you cropped it that it was shot straight on. I think.

Fantastic colors! And I love the DoF, too. Thanks for including the back story, too.

Took me a few moments to figure out what I was looking at! What an awesome photo of an awesome-looking place! Thanks for including the link. I just tagged the tour page to track when it is updated, to find a time/place that might be accessible to me! (www.changedetection.com has worked great for me for years!)

Don't forget, for the CONTESTS you can only post one photo, but for the CHALLENGES (including this one), you can post multiple photos ... and I'd love to see more!

Finally, Keleko, you know I'm always a big fan! :)

15. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Clementis! Thanks. No crop, that's just how it is. I had a few shot straight on but I didn't really like them for some reason. Here's another shot as close as I could get. A macro would've been interesting. And another from this afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Keleko macrumors 68000

I really like that last one. The water drops on it plus the detail is really good.

17. Waybo macrumors regular

Recent photos while at the cemetery. I'm not quite satisfied with them, but I'm not sure why. Ideas, anyone?

Iris:
    [​IMG]
    ISO 400, 100mm, f/6.3. 1/250

Rose:
    [​IMG]
    ISO 200, 60mm, f/6.3, 1/400

Pansies:
    [​IMG]
    ISO 200, 200mm, f/6.3, 1/640

18. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Thanks for the kind words. The Luminarium was an amazing place for getting some good shots (and HD video :D). Go when the sun is out for some extra bright colors. Here are a couple more --- the low light and myriad of people made getting clean shots difficult.

Another hall-way:
    [​IMG]

The ceiling of one of the domes in Luminarium:
    [​IMG]

Finally, a field of tulips from Sweden in May (completely unrelated to the previous images):
    [​IMG]

19. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

That's interesting. My apologies. At first I thought you'd got the spelling wrong, as it's a Clematis, that being it's Latin name, but clementis must be a local common name, as I discovered when I looked it up on the web. You live and learn. :)

All the petals(sepals) are there. That's just the way it is.

Nice focus on the flower JD!

20. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Secret Garden, Very vivid colours

Took a snap of a beautiful little garden in my home town of Crail in Fife, Scotland.

Nice vivid colours and a interesting scene imo.

[​IMG]

21. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I'd say depth of field and focus are probably what's bugging you about them. You head a decent aperture at f/6.3 but perhaps you were really close to the flowers. This would reduce the DOF. You could try a smaller aperture (larger number) or try getting farther away and use the zoom. Tripods help too. I've always found taking pics of solid color flowers in red or yellow like your second shot difficult. It's mostly me but I also think my camera has trouble focusing in close on solid vibrant colors like that. Everything blends together. There are elements of each shot that are sharp so that's why I'd say to concentrate on DOF and focal point.

22. Waybo macrumors regular

I like your revised photos much better than the original (even though I liked that one ... just didn't love it.) Of these two: the center of the first one is awesome; I like the way it is cropped in much tighter. You could even use PP to zoom in more. Perhaps a square crop? The 2nd one is more what I was looking for in the original shot (the petals aren't cut off), and the raindrops make it special, too.

To-MAY-to or to-MAH-to? Or "A rose by any other name ..." might be more appropriate!

I'm a google addict! Clematis / clementis / sepal ... this has fed my addiction for the moment! Thanks! It looks like your spelling (Clematis) is more accurate. (Yes, you do live and learn!)

23. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Love the detail and the colours in this one. Looks as fresh as a daisy er, clematis.

I'd have a go at getting the focus in the centre of the flower, eg. in the first one the focus is on the outer petals and the middle is oof. Irises are very three dimensional so it's not so easy to get the whole flower in focus.

I tried taking some photos of poppies but it's been breezy every day for ages now, and they're so delicate that you can't keep them still. The red of the poppies came out the same way as the pink in your rose, but I haven't discovered why yet.

Having given up on the poppies, I thought I'd try something a bit more static!

[​IMG]

24. Waybo macrumors regular

RED, my favorite color!

Thank you for your advice, JD.

I spent about an hour the same day trying to shoot some bright red geraniums. Threw all my shots away ... they were AWFUL! Even PP didn't do anything for them.

Thanks to Ish, too!
    I was responding to JDDavis, but was interrupted. When I returned, I saw your comment ... and chuckled ... cuz this is what I was loading, following the red theme! At least I had a calm day! :)

Poppy Field:
    [​IMG]

Poppies & Bell Flowers (Campanula)
    [​IMG]
    The original jpg was terrible. I used the raw file. Made a lighter version and a darker version, and then used HDR Darkroom to slightly tweak it and bring out the details.