Fortnightly Challenge March 30 - April 12: Patterns

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AxisOfBeagles, Mar 30, 2011.

1. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

The Topic Schedule

Patterns: March 30 - April 12

Environmental Portraits: April 13 - April 27

Perspective: April 28 - May 11

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

Well, right out of the gate there are lots of patterns in the first post. From out to in, we see the stairwells, then the patterns on the stairwells, then the brick wall, and the ceiling adds yet more. I like the choice of black and white (and does it have a hint of sepia, too?), and I suspect it brings out the patterns more because of it. This would have been a good entry in the symmetry contest that just finished, too.

Here's mine from dinner tonight. I used a drinking glass to create an abstract pattern to the view of the rest of the room.

[​IMG]

4. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Here's my first

Attached Files:

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Several subject submitted but no comments to date. so here goes. I like the luminescence/glow of the colors in this picture and the ingeniousness in choosing this for the patterns subject. I get a nice feel from this photo. Nicely done.

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Nice framing in this image. the subject is just off center and it seems that you paid good attention to the horizontal and vertical edges before pressing the shutter. I like the combination of lines and textures in your shot.

I think I would like this better if the strong vertical line was pushed more to the right of the frame. That's just me, though...

Good start to the new topic.

Dale

7. Waybo macrumors regular

Mayan door, made from woven sticks

I'll confess that I didn't shoot this photo specifically for this challenge, but it is a new picture, and it was the pattern that caught my eye, prompting me to shoot it. This is actually the door of a Mayan home, on display at the Museo de la Isla de Cozumel (museum) in San Miguel, Cozumel, Mexico.

NIKON D3100, Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3
    ISO 280, 92 mm, 0 ev, f/5.6, 1/20
    Manual focus, and, I think, tripod mounted.

Attached Files:

8. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Nice shot. You've taken what is probably a pretty ordinary scene day to day and made it very interesting. My only suggestion is to maybe darken up the concrete post on the right edge just a bit to match the left.

9. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Water? I like the texture but my eyes are having a tough time settling on anything.

10. Waybo macrumors regular

Windows seen from Port of Miami

ISO 200, 92mm, 0 ev, f/6.3, 1/640

Attached Files:

11. Waybo macrumors regular

Warm tones

[​IMG]

C&C is always welcomed & appreciated!

12. Waybo macrumors regular

Time for a new deck!

[​IMG]
    ISO 200, 100 mm, f/5.6, 1/200
    C&C?

13. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

OK so we're on a wood theme roll. One of the first photos taken with my nifty fifty f/1.8 II

[​IMG]

14. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

All of these are nice texture shots, but they have a common problem, lack of a discernible subject to focus on. When a photo has no subject/background relationship it tends to lose it's feeling of depth and becomes flat. The photo below shows the difference that I'm talking about. It contains textures within the context of a composition focused on patterns. It has good depth because we can see a definite subject - the staircase - seperate from the background - the wall. These are difficult shots to get right.

Here is my attempt at a simple pattern imbedded within a texture. I've been rained in for almost six weeks now, so I had to dig into my archives. When I get a break in the weather, I have to dig in the garden...

[​IMG]

And another.

[​IMG]

Dale

15. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Thanks Dale. Thought I could get some depth and pattern with the side lighting.
    [​IMG]

Weather still miserable here, so I feel your pain!

16. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

^^^ This is the best of the samples I quoted at achieving the depth effect with a rather flat subject. I should have mentioned that.

Friday and Saturday look good, but after that rain moves back in for the next 7 - 10 days. That's why I must put things to the side to get the garden work in.

Dale

17. Keleko macrumors 68000

I see the difference in your wood vs. the others. It does make a difference.

I'm also a big fan of old decaying building. There's a lot of texture and patterns there.

I have a couple to add. The first is from the National Quilting Museum in Paducah, KY. I saved it for the challenge instead of picture of the day.

[​IMG]

This peacock is one of 6 at Patti's 1880's Settlement near Kentucky Lake dam.

[​IMG]

18. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Love the vibrant colors and the symmetry of the peacock photo. Great shot.

19. Waybo macrumors regular

Dawn

Kaleko, I LOVE both of these, especially the quilting one. Nice job!

I appreciate the comment on my previous submissions, Dale.
    Is this one any better? C&C always welcomed and appreciated from everyone ... I'm trying to improve!

[​IMG]

ISO 1000, 70mm, 0 ev, f/5.3, 1/13

20. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Great framing and use of focus on the first one. Maybe crop the dark triangle off the top right corner, but don't touch that second hand. It looks like a reflection of the first and really adds to the feel. I can't say how much I like this photo.

The peacock shot is nice, too. The colors always seem to overwhelm me.

Very nice photo. Good use of framing, exposure and focus.

Nice photos from all.

Dale

21. Keleko macrumors 68000

I wondered if it should be cropped. I left it because it is part of her quilting tools, but I can see how it is distracting in the photo, too. The peacock was both easy and tough to get. It was close and had his feathers open a long time. But, he kept turning and there was a wire fence with holes smaller than the lens.

22. Waybo macrumors regular

23. Keleko macrumors 68000

Cropped as suggested. This crop also puts the in-focus hand right on the border of the top 1/3.

[​IMG]