Fortnightly Challenge May 26 - June 8 : Landmarks

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, May 26, 2011.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

The Topic Schedule

Long Exposures (May 12 - 25) Break out your tripods and stop those lenses down! Have Fun
    Landmarks (May 26 - June 8)
    Age (June 9 - 22)

Dale

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

I got lots of landmarks around Atlanta last week that I knew would be useful for this challenge when it came around. This is probably the most framed shot of the building. I tried an HDR to get the sky exposed properly, but after I got home I noticed someone walking down the steps, and I didn't want that in the shot.

Traditionally known as one of the most recognized and photographed landmarks in Atlanta, Swan House is an elegant, classically styled mansion built in 1928 for the Edward H. Inman family, heirs to a cotton brokerage fortune. The mansion, designed by famed Atlanta architect Philip Trammell Shutze, provides a glimpse into the lifestyle of this Atlanta family during the 1920s and 1930s.

[​IMG]
    Swan House Front by Gerg1967, on Flickr

Here's the back of the building. The back was used as the main entrance. The driveway curves around the side and to the back of the building. The front door in the first shot was rarely used, and it was behind a spiral staircase in the house. This shot is an HDR to bring out the details in the shadowed areas.

[​IMG]
    Swan House by Gerg1967, on Flickr

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

[​IMG]
    I took that with my iPhone while docking in NYC from a cruise early in the morning. The only digital editing I did was playing with the layers.

4. Waybo macrumors regular

World Trade Center: The Missing Landmark

The highlight of our short trip to NYC last weekend was a visit to the Ground Zero Museum Workshop. This is one small display, with several of the smallest photos, and some artifacts found at the site of the World Trade Center. The crosses (and Stars of David) are being cut from some of the beams, and presented to families of the survivors. The numbers were entered into our audio tour gadgets, and told us the significance of each item or photo. I was unable to take many photos while there ... it was too emotional. Unfortunately, photos of photos aren't anywhere near as good as the real image.

[​IMG]
    ISO 3200, 18mm, 0 ev, f/3.5, 1/160

[​IMG]
    IOS 3200, 20mm, -0.67, f/8, 1/100

[​IMG]
    IOS 3200, 21mm, -0.67, f/8, 1/50

5. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Nice silhouette, but I would crop off the bottom. It contains no detail and it would move the horizon from the center.

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Actually, for some reason when I uploaded it the top got cropped off. In the original photo there is more of the sky, so that extra bit of the city helps it maintain the third. Not sure why the one here is more centered

7. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

My first and only attempt so far to take a pleasing picture of the Brazilian National Congress. :)

[​IMG]
    Power's Towers by Hisdem, on Flickr

8. Waybo macrumors regular

Statue of Liberty

[​IMG]

ISO 200, 240mm, 1.33 ev, f/14, 1/200

9. Keleko macrumors 68000

I've got a landmark picture for the challenge and as my picture of the day. Near the base of Stone Mountain, GA, on the left side is a statue to memorialize the Civil War soldier. In the background is the famous carving on the side of the mountain.

[​IMG]
    Statue and Carving by Gerg1967, on Flickr

10. Keleko, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011

Keleko macrumors 68000

This is a more classic view of the carving. I took this handheld from inside the Crossroads Village that is part of the park. I took this a little later in the evening from the above picture, so the sun was a bit lower here.

[​IMG]
    Carving and Skylift by Gerg1967, on Flickr

11. Keleko macrumors 68000

You framed this quite well, and I like that you got a nice sky to go with it. I find myself wanting a bit more detail in the building, though, especially along the bottom windows of the flatter area. A bit more contrast (mostly more highs) in the clouds would make the sky more dramatic, too.

A classic view of the statue from across the bay. You have some really nice clouds in the sky background, too. I think you should crop off some of the water on the bottom - maybe about halfway up.

I'd also prefer either more contrast detail in the statue itself as it seems a bit washed out. Of course that may difficult if you're dealing with haze that far away. I wonder if darkening it and the water to make it closer to a silhouette would make it stand out against the sky better. I'm not sure if that's the right edit to the picture, though, or if you should just take that shot a bit later in the evening so it becomes a silhouette naturally. Anyone else wanna comment here?

12. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Lund University Library (from 1666) in Lund, Sweden.

[​IMG]

- Image was composed by stitching together two photos in PS. Any C&C welcomed!
    - Love the photos on here thus far!!

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Enid Haupt Garden (Smithsonian Institution Building aka The Castle in the background)

[​IMG]

World War II Memorial

[​IMG]

14. Waybo macrumors regular

Lady Liberty - Redo

Thanks, Keleko! I wasn't happy with the original version, but couldn't figure out how to save it. The conditions were NOT ideal, but I only had 6.5 hours from when we arrived until we left, so I couldn't be too picky. :) I'm much happier with it now, but would still appreciate additional C&C.

[​IMG]

15. Keleko macrumors 68000

I think that has made it a much better picture. The statue stands out a lot more. I personally like how the sky has a soft pastel color to it that contrasts with the dark of the statue.

16. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Thank you very much for your input, Keleko :) I will try and do it again as soon as I can, taking your suggestions into account. Again, thanks! ;)

17. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Nicely done HDR. You used the effect to just the right level without overdoing it. I think it really adds to the photo.

18. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Living in D.C. I have no shortage of landmark access. Here's the Jefferson early in the morning.

[​IMG]

19. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Flatiron Building
    Leica M8 w/ Summicron-M 35/2

[​IMG]

20. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

meh..

DSC_2557.jpg
    Nevermind the boring photo..it's the info on the marker that grabbed my attention. Of the other 3 geographical landmarks like this in the world, 2 are under water and the last one is in China.

21. zildjansg macrumors 6502

Took us a 3 hr drive from Perth to Busselton Town, Western Australia
    [​IMG]
    The 145-year-old Busselton Jetty, measured at 1841 metres, is the longest timber-piled jetty in the southern hemisphere

22. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Northampton 'lighthouse'

So nicknamed by Terry Wogan on BBC radio! It's about as far from the sea as you can get in the UK. He even joked that because the east coast is eroding so badly, the government had commissioned it for the new coastline! It's was built as a lift testing tower, previously called The Express Lift Tower, now called the National Lift Tower.

[​IMG]

I really like this photo and prefer this viewpoint to the more usual one. The figure with the sword is interesting in itself, and frames the carving well. The sword leads your eye to the carving too. Well done.

I like the changes you've made. Looks loads better now. If I wanted to change anything, I might move the statue a little more off-centre.

23. TheReef, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

What a wonderful balance in the colours, light and layered composition here, brilliant shot!

:D Hah! thanks for providing that insight.
    It's a bit of an eye-sore though (imo), they should paint it white and red to look like a lighthouse :p

24. Melizard, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure if this counts as a "landmark." These are statues in the House of Cleopatra in Delos, Greece (the "Center of the Universe").

[​IMG]
    Photo sitting on the Acropolis, looking towards the Philopappos Monument in Athens, Greece.

[​IMG]
    Finally, in keeping with my Greece theme, this is the Temple of Olympian Zeus with the Acropolis in the background. The composition isn't great, but I still like this photo.

25. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I actually like this composition the best out of the three. I like the angle, gives more of a powerful feel to the structure. Nice exposure too. If you wanted to you might clone out the small rope at the bottom and what looks like a crane behind the temple.