Fortnightly Challenge November 26 - December 9 : Balancing Elements

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

Note: This is a special edition of the Fortnightly Challenge. Topics based on accepted photography guidelines will be supplemented with user suggested topics. For more on the basic rules of good photography look at this link:

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

The Topic Schedule

• Rule of Thirds October 29 - November 11
      [B][*]Black and White November 12 - 25
      [/B]
    • Balancing Elements November 26 - December 9
    See the link above if you need clarification.

Dale

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Hi guys,

I've been away for a while and was hoping to add this to the B&W but I have just seen it's finished.

However, I think it has elements of balance with the eyeline in the top third being balanced by the candles at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    Dad in Mums glasses... by acearchie, on Flickr

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

I tried to balance the reflection and the real in this shot from Fernbank Museum.

[​IMG]

4. bluefox9er macrumors regular

Tough reflection shot..

Hardly any water around the Taj Mahal when I visited, and for some incredulous reason, they decided not to fill the reflecting pool, despite it being the 'rainy' season in india..had to look hard for a suitable puddle to catch a semblance of a 'balanced reflection'..

[​IMG]

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Nice reflection shots, although the picture of the Taj Mahal has me turning my head sideways! Here's my entry from one I submitted a while back depicting sunrise over my home town:

[​IMG]

6. coryndiego macrumors regular

coryndiego

Whitney Portal Element Balance

I've posted this before and think it fits the topic
    (not just because its a balanced Element :)... I'm going out tonight or tomorrow to take some current photos to post for the challenge.

[​IMG]

This was posted in the Black and White challenge last week...
    [​IMG]

7. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

I have posted this before in the POTD thread but I think that it fits this topic.
    [​IMG]
    DSC_2758 by dspector32, on Flickr

8. Keleko macrumors 68000

This picture was half-posed. I had asked the woman to put her hand holding an orange for the foreground hand. Just when I shot the picture, someone else put their hand in that ended up being a great balance to the posed hand.

[​IMG]

9. JAWJr macrumors member

Great shots thus far- Keleko, you've got the focus just perfect here, and the chance addition of the second hand really makes it!

Mine for this challenge:

Attached Files:

10. Jrice macrumors newbie

Newbie's first entry

The Alhambra in Granada, Spain

Attached Files:

11. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Hi, everyone. I'm sorry for missing the timeline for the new challenge, the dates have been revised.

Leading Lines starts HERE

Dale