Fortnightly Challenge -- Sept 19 thru Oct 2 -- Topic: Diagonal

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JohnMC, Sep 19, 2010.

1. JohnMC macrumors 6502

Fortnightly Challenge - September 19 thru October 2

Challenge topic(s): Diagonal

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM Oct 2

Be sure to visit and post your images in our Flickr group.

Rules:
    1. Photos should be your own work.
    2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
    3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
    4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
    1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.

Lets have fun!!

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Not real current. There has been a lot of rain here for the last few weeks.
    The diagonal is created by the tops of the flowers. From Point Defiance in Tacoma.

[​IMG]

Dale

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Really nice photo here. The radiating diagonal lines created by the sunlight through the mist and trees adds strength to the composition. Nice mood.

Dale

5. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I've been gone awhile. It seems the fortnightly challenges are loosing a bit of steam. It's a busy time for me (like it is for everyone) with kids back in school, work and of course football:D.

friegeist: I like the piano shot alot. I like the mood that you set with the tone of the pic. Nice perspective on the keys.

Here's a rather simple one to keep it going.

Attached Files:

6. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

And another.

Attached Files:

7. jabbott macrumors 6502

Shot at the UC Riverside Botanic Gardens in May 2010; Canon Rebel T2i with 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM at 300mm, 1/400s, f/7.1, ISO 400; no post-processing or editing done.

[​IMG]

8. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

9. alt75 macrumors member

Taken just outside the competition period, a couple of weeks ago in Botswana.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for feedback.

Attached Files:

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Attached Files:

11. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I really like where you were going with this shot. It's a beautiful instrument. I think I'd like to see the DOF a little larger. Maybe if the last fret / bridge or whatever you call them was in focus.

12. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

13. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Nice approach to the Challenge theme. I like the countering of the upward visual line of the railing with the downward slant of the bridge. Looks like a great place for boating.

Very interesting image. I agree that it would be a bit stronger if the depth of field was a bit deeper, more of the instrument in focus.

Good use of diagonals to obtain this composition. I love the forest and scenes like this are very appealing to me. It is a bit light, though. I would like to see the greens of the grasses deeper and more natural in color.

Nice photos from all.

Dale

14. mtnbikemama macrumors member

I got him in my sights, focused & snapped all before he even knew I was there. Got to be quick to catch a shot of the elusive 9 year old boy.

[​IMG]

15. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I don't know if this is in Humboldt or if you are anywhere near it but when I saw this pic I immediately thought that an awesome diagonal pic would be of the Dyerville Giant. I've only been there once but I desperately want to go back to the Redwoods. The Giant is hard to take a picture of though as it is of course, enormous.

I agree though that overall the pic is a little light and flat. You could probably deepen it a bit in post depending on what you use.

16. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

He looks like he's got your scent and is about to pounce. Thankfully it seems you made it out alive. At least for the time being:eek:

It's a nice composition with several layers. I might crop a little of the sky off the top. Not sure. I'm a big fan of a good copy of the 18-200 (in your sig). For the money I think you can get some great shots with it.

17. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

18. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Dale and JD- Thanks for the comments. This picture was taken in the Avenue of the Giants, part of the Sequoia forest in Northern California, near Pepperwood. I worked on the picture using Aperture and got a deeper coloring to the picture. Let me know what you think. I am still on the front end of the learning curve with picture taking and working with editing. Here's the re-do:

[​IMG]

19. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Captiva Island

[​IMG]

10 or so shot Panormaic at Captiva Island, FL

20. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is a vast improvement over the original. Aperture is a bit of a beast to learn but it has tons of potential.

Dale

21. Nuks macrumors 6502a

22. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

DTW airport last Sunday on my way to Nashville, playing with my T1i as I walked underground to concourse "C".

Both these shots are diagonals + curves + colors.

Put camera on 2 second timer, aperture mode, set on hand rail, took a few shots, this one turned out best.
    The camera moved with the hand rail/tread, so they are sharp while the other parts slightly blurry, but I feel still kinda cool.
    [​IMG]

This one I put the camera on the floor and held it steady as I could, its a 10 second exposure in aperture mode, I used f14 to try and get more depth of field.
    There were quite a few people around, but like that Steven King Novel/Movie they "disappear" when time effects are put into play....
    [​IMG]