Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Epic Games' popular multiplayer game Fortnite Battle Royale is now available for download from the iOS App Store, and the first beta invites for the game have been sent out to those who signed up for the beta.

The new free-to-play iOS game is identical to the Battle Royale mode in Fortnite for PCs, Macs, and consoles, and it is similar to other games of this style like PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. Battle Royale supports up to 100 players, with gamers able to play solo or in squads of up to four people.

The aim of the game is to be the last person standing, taking out opponents with a variety of weapons while also avoiding death from other people. Players start out with just a pickaxe and must scavenge through the world for weapons, armor, and resources.

Fortnite Battle Royale for iOS supports Cross Play and Cross Progression between Playstation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Mac, which means players across multiple devices can play together.

If you haven't yet signed up for the Fortnite Battle Royale beta test on iOS, you can do so on the Epic Games website. Not all players who signed up for the test have received beta invites at this time, with Epic Games planning to send out invites on a rolling basis.

Each person who is invited to the Fortnite Battle Royale beta test will also receive invite codes to share with others.

To participate in the beta, players must have an internet connection and a device running iOS 11. Eligible devices able to run the game include the iPhone 6s and later, the iPad mini 4, all iPad Pro models, the iPad Air 2, and the 2017 5th-generation iPad.

Fortnite can be downloaded from the App Store for free, but a beta invite is required to play. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fortnite Battle Royale Now Available From App Store as First Beta Invites Go Out

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2017
Downloading now... I'm coming for you Drake!

That is if you can find him... :rolleyes:
6C4C45B0-0E04-49C8-8B12-24FDCF445CB2.jpeg

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
Platform crossplay...with mobile? Good luck. A full-touch device stands no chance against players on PC without some auto-aim assistance.

You understood it wrongly.

You won't have cross play enabled by default ( as far as I've read from some German news)

If you play alone you play on the platform you are on (Mobile/Console/PC).
Then, regarding which whom you are in party, you will be matched with the least higher platform.

Mobile & Mobile = Mobile
Mobile & Console = Console
Mobile & PC = PC
Console & PC = PC

etc.

Its the similar as with rocket league. Sadly that you can't play with XBO and PS4...Screw you Sony.
(PS4 and PC works tho)

Reactions: Massy1989

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
I really hope they add controller support ASAP. The website says in a future update but doesn’t mention a timeframe

Reactions: miniyou64

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
For those curious, per the e-mail, we have yet to receive invite codes at this time. They said it’s coming in a later time.

Edit:
F407A1D4-5E06-4E7F-AA3A-B2168D0D22E8.jpeg

seanmcbay

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
I got invited and it’s definitely Fortnite on mobile. It’s pretty impressive but controls as you’d expect.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Nah, I’m gonna wait for the Nintendo Switch version. Trying to play this on my iPhone or iPad sounds like a nightmare. I’ve pretty much stopped playing most mobile games on my iPhone and just play the Switch now. I’ll occasionally play something on my iPad, but less often.

Now if only PUBG would come to other platforms—but considering the current state on even the Xbox One X, it’s probably for the best. Got two chicken dinners the other day though and it’s starting to get better. Don’t have much time to play Fortnite on console though so I’d rather take it with me.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Tyfu

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2018
It’s a little buggy and touch controls are going to be tricky to get used to. Biggest change is going from my 27” iMac to a 5” iPhone X.

Justinradtke

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2018
Nah, I’m gonna wait for the Nintendo Switch version. Trying to play this on my iPhone or iPad sounds like a nightmare. I’ve pretty much stopped playing most mobile games on my iPhone and just play the Switch now. I’ll occasionally play something on my iPad, but less often.

Now if only PUBG would come to other platforms. But considering the current state on even the Xbox One X, it’s probably for the best. Got two chicken dinners the other day though.
It’s a little buggy and touch controls are going to be tricky to get used to. Biggest change is going from my 27” iMac to a 5” iPhone X.
can you send me an invite ?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I am still laughing.
I honestly had no idea what they were talking about. Had to re-read the article. Not sure what in my original post would give them the idea that I have an invite to the Fortnite iOS beta when I said I’m waiting for the Switch version and play PUBG instead on console.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US

lrsone

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2012
New York, NY
It’s pretty fun and functions well as if it were on console or pc but them touch controls my god! I should’ve had and easy two kills but trying to aim, run, and shoot at the same time is a nightmare.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.