Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Epic Games' popular multiplayer game Fortnite Battle Royale for iOS is now available to everyone, following a limited beta test that lasted for two weeks.

As of this morning, beta invites are no longer needed to play Fortnite on an iPhone or iPad, so to play, all you need to do is download the game from the App Store.

Fortnite on iOS, which is free to play and supported by in-app purchases, is identical to the Battle Royale mode in Fortnite for PCs, Macs, and Consoles, where you have to kill or be killed.

The goal in the game is to be the last person standing, with players tasked with taking out enemies with a variety of weapons while also avoiding death from others. Players start out with just a pickaxe and must scavenge through the world for weapons, armor, and resources, while struggling to survive the melee.

No invite needed - Fortnite is now open everywhere on iOS. Grab your friends and jump in now! https://t.co/qU3S8QAQ9K - Fortnite (@FortniteGame) April 2, 2018

The game supports up to 100 players, with gamers able to play solo or in squads of up to four people. Fortnite for iOS supports cross-platform play, so if desired, you can play with friends who are using a PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, or Mac.

Fortnite is compatible with the iPhone 6s and later, the iPad mini 4 and later, the iPad Air 2, the 5th and 6th-generation iPads, and all iPad Pro models.

The game's public release comes just under two weeks after the launch of the officially licensed mobile app for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (aka PUBG), which came out on March 19. PUBG offers similar battle royale-style gameplay.

Fortnite can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fortnite for iOS Now Available for Everyone, No Beta Invite Needed

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I tried this during the beta as it was in the news, but didn’t find it an enjoyable experience.

There was no intro or anything so I had little idea what I was trying to do and I didn’t find the graphics appealing.

I guess it shows in getting old! (I’m 35)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This **** isn't fun with the garbage touch screen controls

So true. I don't know how anyone gets any legitimate enjoyment out of games like this with just a touch-screen as input device. Mad.

Heck, I love PUBG on my XBOX One X (bugs and performance issues aside), and played a few rounds on the iPhone, but... only out of curiosity. Certainly won't ever touch it again. Touch-screen controls are simply a joke for games like this.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I tried this during the beta as it was in the news, but didn’t find it an enjoyable experience.

There was no intro or anything so I had little idea what I was trying to do and I didn’t find the graphics appealing.

Not old. It was just a sub-optimal experience on mobile. Fortnite's game playstyle simply isn't mobile focused. Both Fortnite and PUBG are KBM first, Controller second, and mobile last in order of optimised play.

DadBod630

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
So true. I don't know how anyone gets any legitimate enjoyment out of games like this with just a touch-screen as input device. Mad.

Heck, I love PUBG on my XBOX One X (bugs and performance issues aside), and played a few rounds on the iPhone, but... only out of curiosity. Certainly won't ever touch it again. Touch-screen controls are simply a joke for games like this.

PUBG and Fortnite are plenty fun on consoles or PC, these mobile ports are a gimmick and I assume an easy cash grab via microtransactions.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Not old. It was just a sub-optimal experience on mobile. Fortnite's game playstyle simply isn't mobile focused. Both Fortnite and PUBG are KBM first, Controller second, and mobile last in order of optimised play.

It did feel very clunky.

It also lacked any narrative as to who I was or what I was doing. I used to play COD and prefer 1st person vs 3rd person games, but this just didn’t feel like fun.

To be honest if I play games they tend to be designed for iPhone/iPad like mini metro :)

Reactions: RuralJuror

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004

35?? OLD??? :eek: You've barely just started your life!

I'm guessing you didn't play it too much on the PC or Xbox. I think the mobile is pretty much designed for those people...

Reactions: RuralJuror

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It’s definitely challenging to control the player with the touch screen controls. I’ve been trying to like it but, I’m starting to lose interest

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

I managed to get on the Beta a few days ago and found the same. Not sure if it was cross platform opponents with superior controls - but I died near instantly in the 2 games I played. Didn't get a chance to build or customise anything.

It did feel very clunky.

It also lacked any narrative as to who I was or what I was doing. I used to play COD and prefer 1st person vs 3rd person games, but this just didn’t feel like fun.

To be honest if I play games they tend to be designed for iPhone/iPad like mini metro :)

It’s definitely challenging to control the player with the touch screen controls. I’ve been trying to like it but, I’m starting to lose interest

I also tried PUBG and have really enjoyed it. Took a a couple of games to get used to the controls and understand the game mechanics, but it's quite simple.

Probably the most I've gamed on my iPhone since Kingdom Rush a few years back. Not sure if PUBG supports cross platform, or just has better matching than Fortnite but I've managed to have many competitive games. I don't own a console or gaming PC, so pick up and play mobile games like Kingdom Rush are my usual got to for a quick time killer. PUBG might just have changed that.

PUBG and Fortnite are plenty fun on consoles or PC, these mobile ports are a gimmick and I assume an easy cash grab via microtransactions.

I haven't spent anything on micro transactions and have really enjoyed PUBG on iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.