Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular battle royale game Fortnite has earned more than $100 million in revenue in its first 90 days of availability on iOS devices, according to new data shared by app analytics firm Sensor Tower.

fortnite-mobile-100-million-hero-800x469.jpg

The figure means Epic Games' title for iPhone and iPad has become the second-fastest app to reach the milestone in its category. Clash Royale retains the top revenue record, earning the same amount in only 51 days.

fortnite-mobile-100-million-revenue-90-days-800x590.jpg
It took Fortnite's mobile players 90 days to spend $100 million in the game. We looked at how this compared to its rivals above. Among them, Clash Royale managed the fastest time from launch to the $100 million milestone on iOS, accomplishing the feat in just 51 days. Fortnite, however, reached this point nearly three months faster than Knives Out and Honor of Kings, at 173 and 179 days, respectively.
When it was in beta, Fortnite earned more than $1.5 million, and during its first month of availability on iPads and iPhones, the game brought in $25 million. It only took two weeks for that to double to $50 million. Six weeks later, that figure has also doubled, which is all the more impressive given that Fortnite was invite-only for the first three months.

fortnite-mobile-100-million-revenue-time-800x590.jpg

Fortnite is free to download, but encourages players to buy "V-Bucks" in the app so they can purchase customization items like emotes, outfits, gliders, and more. The minimum in-app purchase is $9.99 for 1,000 V-Bucks, but players can spend more if they want. Players are also able to earn V-Bucks in game, but must invest a lot of play time to do so.

PUBG, another battle royale game that launched shortly after Fortnite, has not been as successful - Sensor Tower estimates that it has grossed around $5.2 million on iOS, and attributes the lower figure in part to its loot box monetization strategy. While Fortnite offers unique items available for a limited amount of time, PUGB only allows players to purchase randomized boxes that can result in duplicate and non-useful items.

Article Link: Fortnite on iOS Has Now Earned $100M Since Launch

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Surely they were hoping to make that much in the first two weeks? ;)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Translation -- they whisked $100,000,000+ out of people's pockets in exchange for moving a bunch of pixels around on a screen...

Reactions: SigEp265

itsthenewdc

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Man, and apple got $30m just for offering the platform. Not a bad piece of the pie!!

In a way, yes. But really what they did is build a brand for decades and designed and marketed a device that people actually wanted to buy consistently year over year, giving the developers of great games an easy path to making lots of money.

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
It's crazy that people play this game on iOS. It's hard enough to play on a console versus someone on a PC as the controls using a keyboard are a lot quicker. Are people playing on iOS playing cross-platform? Or is just iOS vs. iOS?

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
It's crazy that people play this game on iOS. It's hard enough to play on a console versus someone on a PC as the controls using a keyboard are a lot quicker. Are people playing on iOS playing cross-platform? Or is just iOS vs. iOS?

I would like to know that as well, also why no tvOS version? That would be killer!

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
People on mobile always play others on mobile and console always plays console and pc vs pc. If a mobile person plays duos with a console player then they play on a console server.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
People on mobile always play others on mobile and console always plays console and pc vs pc. If a mobile person plays duos with a console player then they play on a console server.
I tried playing with a mouse and keyboard. I'm a mess. I have no idea how people do it and do it so quickly.

I suppose that goes for all PC games---I'm much more confirmable with a Playstation or Xbox controller (preferably PS).
[doublepost=1529513623][/doublepost]
I would like to know that as well, also why no tvOS version? That would be killer!
I heard this is coming with MFI support. One of the writers on The Verge--Tom Warren, I believe.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Played it, but what do people buy in this game that gives you a better chance at winning???

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
By default it only pairs you with largely the same platform you're using.. But if you get invited to a game by friends on consoles/PC you can join - and you can invite them to play with you..

Its actually easier on iOS in some ways as there's a higher % of casual players and players who are clearly distracted as they're on the move or whatever. :) The average mobile player doesn't build as much as the controls make it clunkier - but the best mobile players clearly worked through that and do fine.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Translation -- they whisked $100,000,000+ out of people's pockets in exchange for moving a bunch of pixels around on a screen...
And movie studios whisk hundreds of millions of dollars out of people's pockets just to sit in a dark room with colored lights shining on one wall.

Or you could look at it as people paying for entertainment. Not an unreasonable thing to do.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
And movie studios whisk hundreds of millions of dollars out of people's pockets just to sit in a dark room with colored lights shining on one wall.

Or you could look at it as people paying for entertainment. Not an unreasonable thing to do.
Don't take stuff so seriously. It was a tongue in cheek observational comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.