Fortnite on iOS Gains Support for MFi Controllers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Fortnite today has been updated to version 7.30 on the iOS App Store, introducing support for MFi controllers on iPhones and iPads. This means that controllers like the SteelSeries Nimbus and Gamevice accessories can now be used to play Fortnite while connected to your iOS device (via TouchArcade).

[​IMG]

It's been nearly one year since Fortnite's Battle Royale mode launched as a standalone app on the iOS App Store, first debuting as a beta in March 2018. The game tasks players with surviving in a 100-player battleground until they're the last person standing. On mobile, the game used an on-screen joystick to control your character before today's introduction of Bluetooth controller support.

Anyone playing Fortnite on iOS can use Cross Play to play with people on other consoles, like Xbox One, PC, and Mac. As Fortnite gained popularity, in June the game was estimated to have earned $100 million from players on the iOS App Store alone in the three months it had been available.

Today's update also introduces the Chiller Grenade, a new limited time mode called "Solid Gold," and various bug fixes. Android devices are also getting Bluetooth controller support as of the 7.30 update.

Article Link: Fortnite on iOS Gains Support for MFi Controllers

2. mozumder macrumors 6502a

It's hilarious playing Fortnite on iOS, where everyone stands still for a split second right before shooting someone in the middle of battle because they have to adjust to the screen controls.

3. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Okay, now the ability to play cross-platform from phones to consoles makes sense.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Wait, what? I've never played Fortnite, but I assumed this game, being a shooter and all, supported MFi controllers from the start.

How did it take a YEAR to add support for something that makes the game so much easier to play??

5. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Because they didn't want controller users destroying non controller users on mobile devices. They've now got an entire new back end that matches different inputs together - so controller on iPad/iPhone will match you with controller players on consoles and mobile.

6. idji73 macrumors newbie

7. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

All MFi controllers are a disappointment, and it's Apple's fault. Their design makes them almost like a console controller, just missing 3 or 4 buttons. It makes direct console ports a little hard. And it holds back the Apple TV as something that could be a serious console.

8. Jukens macrumors regular

That was correct a year ago but since iOS 12.1 L3/R3 buttons are now supported and there are a few models that have all console buttons and then some. RotorRiot is one and I will be receiving W18 Wireless Controller Gamepad Game MFI Certified Bluetooth Speedy Joystick Joypad today. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M997R3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J.huCbK47MSRV

9. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

^This please!

10. darkslide29, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

darkslide29 macrumors 65816

Thanks for sharing this. When I got my SteelSeries controller, I didn't realize I couldn't do L3, R3 like a standard controller and it really made me less interested in gaming on my phone. I will be picking this up. Once you receive it, I'd love to hear your impressions! Thanks!

11. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

This deserves a giant FINALLY. I'll pick the game up again.

12. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Uh, a few things. Loads of console games do not use all the buttons on the controller. As I understand it "direct console ports" to iOS devices being hard has very little to do with MFi controllers. There's a lot more than just controllers holding the ATV back from being a serious console.

There's more, but those are the highlights. The ATV supporting games has been and is more about playing iOS games on a big screen than it is about replacing a console in your livingroom.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2019 ---
    I've seen this sentiment several times on here now, and I'm genuinely confused. When you got your SteelSeries controller, what games were you playing on iOS that supported L3/R3? What games do you have now that you think will? The only one's I can think of off the top of my head that might are Minecraft and (presumably) Fortnite. Am I missing something? Is there a back-catalogue of mid 2000's shooters and action games that got ported onto the platform with their sprint functionality intact but sadly repressed by the lack of joystick press on MFi controllers somewhere that I just haven't found? I have so many questions!

13. Jukens macrumors regular

Looks like even though the W18 controller has the buttons they are not supported for iOS. Appears that only the RotorRiot has functioning L3/R3 buttons that are usable and mappable in games and game streaming apps like R-Play and Moonlight.
    L3\R3 support wasn’t even added until iOS 12.1 but I would be frustrated purchasing an MFi controller in the past couple months at a premium price that didn’t have those buttons of which nearly all remote game streaming apps now support and many future games may add support for. Fortnite does support them for one example and they are buttons used quite often in shooter games.

14. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

I can understand being frustrated if you bought a controller just before the support was added, but it looks like most people did like I did, and bought a Stratus XL, Horipad Ultimate, or Nimbus shortly after they were released. That was years ago, and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of my Nimbus in that time. Even if I felt like the addition of sprint (and... ironsights? What's mapped to R3 in Fortnite? I've never played it with a controller) was worth the upgrade, I don't think I'd be that upset about buying a new controller at this point. Though in my case I'd be happy to have two controllers so I wouldn't have to keep switching one from my ATV to my iPad and back. Maybe that convenience is coloring my opinion.

15. darkslide29, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019

darkslide29 macrumors 65816

Regarding my disappointment of the lack of L3/R3 support - there are no App Store games I wanted to use this for. I know, sounds silly. But instead, it was a unique use of wanting to use an app called Moonlight to stream my PC games to my phone. Not for serious gaming that I'd rather be sitting at my PC for, but if there were some tasks or some grinding in a game I could do while on the couch or just away from that room, or while on a work trip, it felt cool to be able to do. I've tried doing this type of remote gaming with a tablet, and with a Sony PS Vita, so I wanted to give it a shot with my phone. There are also apps (R-play for PS4, OneCast for Xbox) to stream console games to an iPhone. It is a unique usage, but I wrongly assumed MFi controllers had the L3 and R3 buttons (on the steelseries numbus, the thumbsticks don't even click inward, I think..), and I should have done more research at the time.
    Thanks for letting me know. I like the look of the W18 a lotmore, but if RotorRiot has the functioning buttons, then I guess that's the one to buy. It looks like the RotorRiot needed a firmware update to make it work, so perhaps there will be a firmware update to the W18 someday. But I probably don't have the patience to wait that out, lol.

Also, the RotorRiot seems to be hardwired only. I know that's better for latency, but there will be no way to charge it at the same time, especially if some games or apps drain the battery quickly. That also made the W18 more appealing for the flexibility.

16. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Ooookay, got it. That's a use-case I hadn't considered, I guess, so I'm glad I asked. It just kinda took me by surprise, I've seen plenty of dissatisfaction regarding gaming on iOS in general and the ATV in particular, it's just that usually controllers aren't the complaint.

And you're right about the nimbus, it's a minor niggle I've noticed using it to game on my Mac. Mostly I've just gotten used to traversing terrain slowly in games that support those controls.

17. Ihatefall macrumors regular

Hi! How is it? Does the L3/R3 work? The reviews said they didn’t

18. Jukens macrumors regular

Correct they didn’t. I was one of those reviews and looks like amazon removed the listing for review.