Forum civility

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Roller, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Roller macrumors 68020

Maybe I'm getting more sensitive as I age, but it seems to me that the level of civility in many of the forums keeps falling. It's especially so in threads discussing hot-button topics like the current one about the iPhone 6's propensity to bend, but I see it elsewhere, as well. It's one thing to have strongly-held opinions; it's another to be rude and insulting when debating them with others.

It's even worse on general news sites, where the comments that follow almost any article seem to devolve into nasty, meaningless nonsense within a few posts. CNN's web site was particularly bad in this regard, and I was glad when they stopped accepting comments altogether.

I guess that much of this has to do with the anonymity afforded by forums like this - people feel that they can write almost anything without much repercussion. No matter that the person on the receiving end is another human being. Some will say that it's not wise to join the fray if you're thin-skinned, and I suppose that's true. But I worry that some of this bleeds over into other interpersonal relationships.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I think the mods do a pretty good job of keeping things civil on here.

But yes you are right, the anonymity offered on forums does give people a free reign to say things they wouldn't in the real world.

3. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Nothing beats Youtube in terms of lack of civility in comments.

4. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

...or spelling and grammar.

5. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I think the same thing almost every trip into the “News” areas. Way too many know-it-all loudmouths, who wouldn’t dare conduct themselves like that in real life (of course, they’ll be the first to suggest they do ... they don’t), but have the cover of anonymity.

I personally think the mods should just boot some of the usual suspects to make a point that it’s not accepted behavior, but they exercise a good bit more tolerance in those areas (by that I mean, they’re quicker to act in the support, help and general topic areas).

One thing I wish they would do is simply throttle posts, because the same loudmouths also post 30-40 times a day in a busy thread, but it’s mostly just trolling. It’s actually a little _sad_.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

There are many talents of that kind on MR too, though.

7. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

There's no civility at all, I agree. One comment that dares hint at a scientific fact that today's elites have deemed to be "hateful," and it's off to the banned chamber with you.

8. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Your wrong their isnt any here :p

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Wot u talcing bout. English and grammmer on hear is purfect.

10. Roller thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree that the mods do a pretty good job when things take a nosedive. However, it's nearly impossible for them to keep up with threads like the one I cited, which contains more than its share of personal insults.

FWIW, though, I find that people in this forum tend to be more polite to one another, which is one reason I enjoy hanging around here.

11. mobilehaathi, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Misusing science to justify hate is an old story. You aren't the first to try it buddy.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I no rite?!

13. scrubmilk macrumors member

scrubmilk

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You raise some good points OP.

There is a fine line that moderators have to hold to on large forums like this. As a moderator on another large forum, I face this question a lot. On the one hand, you want people to be able to express themselves and not feel like they are being treated as if they were in kindergarten. On the other hand, there are many who waste no time in trying to see how far they can push the limits of what is acceptable on a forum.

I am not 100 % perfect as a member here. However, I do my very best to be helpful and treat people as I expect to be treated. And when I run across someone who goes out of his or her way to be nasty, I left that person know that such is not necessary and detracts from whatever point he or she was attempting to make. If the person continues, I will often disengage from the conversation.

Life is too short to put up with needless drama and people disrespecting you, just because they feel they have the unwritten license to act in such a manner.

15. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Nailed it brutha!

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

There's a line between opinion and manners.

Most people online don't seem to understand the difference.

On MR, whilst I don't think in every case the Mods are entirely fair, I think they do their best under the circumstances. I've shouted at people, and been checked for it, and some seem to regularly get away with it... hence why we have the "report" button on every post. Was I out of line? Sure. Personal ideas always come through, but in large mod groups there is a sort of "self check" sort of thing that keeps it pretty fair. At one large Photoshop forum I used to help mod we had admins who would just ban people for the fun of it. Or, indeed, on more than one occasion, for bad grammar. Oh, those were the days.

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Sounds like one hell of a forum. :rolleyes:

18. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

The actual artistic talent rivaled the best in the world, honestly. Some members were designers that regularly designed or developed on very large projects for very large companies.

Moderation was another beast entirely though. Very active for several years, it doesn't exist anymore.