forum critique

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
AL-FAMOUS said:
what do you think of this place

www.thefstop.tk

just wnat to know what you guys think of it for a forum?

if your a phoographer why dont you join up ;)
Not sure what kind of critique you are looking for (ie technical, aesthetic), but I think it looks pretty good. I particularily like the font used for "fstop" as well as the camera image. Did you chose a monochromatic aesthetic for a reason, or did you just like it? For some reason, I didn't like the "flames" motif for new posts/topics, but that is merely personal preference...

I didn't see a search feature, however. Might want one of those, but I only briefly looked around I might've missed it...

Good luck with it, if I was more of a photographer...

V.A.Toss

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
nice avatar

Is that an XR3i in the background?
I dont know what a stormtroopers doing in Essex.

Anyway, i think a forum is made by the people that talk on it and the people that mod it. Not really the way it looks.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
lol tanks for the tar feedback guys ;)

as for the forum va toss its all about the members but its got to be soft on your eyes so it doesnt give you migraines ect -

well done on the search feature missing - the board doesnt include it :) and it was free ;)
im not 100% sure about the flames for new posts but they are used for hot topics and i put them in because there was nowt bettet :p
i think i might change that

thanks for the feedback - it helps (and it was kind ;) )

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I like the new graphic(s) for the new posts much better than the flames (fwiw).

I also like (I forgot to mention before) the listing of mods for each sub-forum, it makes it easy to know who to contact/listen to if need be.

Anyway, I would have to agree with VA Toss, that ultimately, a forum is judged by it's content, membership and moderation, not by aesthetics, although basic clean-functionality is always appreciated.

Keep up the good work...

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
AL-FAMOUS said:
what do you think of this place

www.thefstop.tk

just wnat to know what you guys think of it for a forum?

if your a phoographer why dont you join up ;)

Why don't you just use the original web address: http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9296

the ".tk" extension reroutes your original site with a .tk frame which adds this ugly white bar at the bottom of your site. And since you site is all black it stands out more.

The forum looks nice though the banner is a little too big. Everything else seems good. :)

V.A.Toss

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
nice forum

Well aesthetically its very good. Functional but also tidy and looks pro.

I like the different boards you have (is 'boards' the right word?). Very useful. But maybe too many of them. Back in 2000 Macrumors had just 4 or so boards with "general discussion" being the most popular. Then as the numbers of users grew so did the number of boards. My suggestion would just be to simplify them all a tiny little bit, then expand when more people go to it.
I think if you merge a few of them together it will create more discussion.

Oh and one more thing. You might want to put in a board of 'photography legends' or 'photographers'. So people can discuss their favourite photographers and learn from them, like Avedon or Friedlander for example.

But i like it, its good. More useful than alot of photograhy forums ive seen.

Ill be joining, even though my knowledge of the subject doesnt stretch at all past portraiture and architectural.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mnkeybsness said:
That works... stupid .tk addresses

That header is HUGE! It gets really annoying seeing it so much... I would try to keep the header under 150px high. Also, maybe put the google ads at the bottom of the pages? I know I would rather see them later.
Yeah I hate those ".tk" addresses they just look sappy. :p I also believe the people behind the ".tk" monitor the traffic that enter via that address extension so that one good reason for me to to visit ".tk" sites after I find the original address. :)

Yep the header can be smaller would look better, since it takes up way too much of the page space. The black shades looks fine its fitting with the whole digital camera thing. :)

Not sure if he can place the google ads at the bottom since it is either a tester forum with limited space or bought forum. I know you have to pay something like $4 USD to get that banner removed. In this case I believe the forum is running on a tester bases or something.

I also know that you need quite a few thousand click on that google banner for them to even pay you anything. And editing the size if possible however against the term of use for the forum software. ;) :)

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
only been up a week so ive not really been into hosting stuff ect yet - not even promoted yet :)

the .tk thing was just a recommendation for a friend because people will remeber thefstop.tk better than excoblah=blah 12433494994.ifgriringinnvkrnkvnkr.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.