Forum Games sub-topic?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by roadbloc, Nov 12, 2010.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The community discussion is littered full of these forum game things like "MRVille" and all that rubbish.

Can they be cleaned up elsewhere please. Like a specially assigned sub-topic for them?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

They don't really bother me. I just skim over the titles when I see one. Do they really justify another sub forum?

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

As Hellhammer pointed out, there was a thread about this here.

They aren't outside the community spirit and they are always prefixed with "[WW]" so people can easily identify and skip over them. There are absolutely loads of threads I am not even slightly interested in and instead of complaining I handle that by... not clicking them.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hellmahammer :eek::p:D:cool::rolleyes:;):)

I hope that was a typo ;)

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

:D Ooops, yes. (fixed)

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Freudian slip?

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Perhaps that impression is heightened by the frequency with which they turn up in Forum Spy?

I'm not involved with any of these games, so I don't have a stake in them at all. Secondly, I'm sure the original people who kicked this idea off over here have an understanding of sorts with staff to ensure that they don't become a nuisance and are wastelanded after they're done so that they don't become spam holes. Just glancing at the community page, I see four threads on the first page, hardly 'littered full'.

I think they're a great idea for bringing people together, perhaps introducing new forum members to long-term members, and for giving people just one more reason to stick around over and above everything that goes on around here. One of MacRumors' strengths, in my mind, is the community aspect of the site, where there's more going on than just the core news and technical forums, something I feel has become slightly diluted with the reorganisation. The more variety and interest that the site has is a strength, in my view.

However, I occasionally do wonder whether the frequency of them can lead to some becoming a bit jaded with them, seeing as there's at least two flavours of game from what I can tell: the ever-changing pro's edition for those who know the game inside out and a simpler version for those who might want to try it for the first time. It also seems that a new one kicks off the minute an old one finishes, so a possible suggestion is to maybe restrict them to once per month for both kinds, maybe kicking off on the first of each month? This would ensure that they continue, but giving the forum members who object to them a break as well, giving those who participate something to look forward to.

My other thought about the pro's version of the games is that it seems, from the outside at least, that they're becoming increasingly esoteric and complex with discussions about rule changes and the like, condensing the core participants down to a group that seems relatively static in its makeup, which seems slightly, but not deliberately exclusionary. One of the things that can turn people off is endless discussion about process, so I'm wondering whether rules discussions could take place offboard by PM or email amongst the circle who are most invested in them, so that when a new game starts, the rules are there from the get-go.

Like I said, I don't play them, but they don't bother me either, but they do clearly bother some... they have a valuable role of sorts to play if managed correctly, so squaring that circle might just be a matter of having fewer of them throughout a 6-12 month period and organising them slightly differently, ensuring they're still fun, but maybe a bit more rare and therefore a bit more special.

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's an innovative approach to be sure, but after trying it myself I have to say it works.

They're not harming anyone.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are only a couple of active threads in the Community section at any one time, so the Forum is hardly littered with them. The "rub" most likely comes in the activity those threads generate in the "spy".

I don't think the number of threads warrants a subforum
    However, having a subforum would allow them to be excluded from the "spy"

I have no problem seeing them in the "spy" myself
    In fact, I have wanted to join a game as a result of seeing so much fun :eek:

11. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

They're pretty fun. The Simple Game isn't over yet, and the Complex Game is accepting sign-ups. The Complex Game seems to be simpler now, but I would suggest starting with the Simple Game, but that's just me. :)

I participate in them, and they don't seem to overwhelm the Forum Spy for me. They are actually very few, probably a few per page of the Community Discussion Forum, and are Wastelanded when they are finished. The are not spam, and as Blue Velvet said they help new Forum members be introduced to the older Forum members.

I don't think they are enough for a Sub-Forum, but it would not hurt. If a Sub-Forum would be made, it would be very small. If they were to become more traffic in the [WW] Games, then maybe a Sub-Forum would be more likely to be made. They're are usually only 2 running at a time. They are restarted probably every three weeks or so, which is very few when you have only two threads at a time.

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think that a games forum would be nice. It would not only allow people to hide the WW games, but might encourage people to start new games. After awhile, I'm sure that there would be more than just WW games in there. Lots of forums have "This or That" sort of games.

13. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

By them having their own sub-topic however, not only makes them a definate 'feature' as such of these forums, but also means they won't have to get wastelanded when the game finishes, allowing you guys to continued chatting during the aftermath of the game.

Anyways, it was just an idea. I'm not too fussed what happens but from my point of view, a sub topic will benefit both them who are annoyed about seeing them in the community discussion forum and them who enjoy playing them.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Which I would like very much. But the outcome of my original thread was that they would be left as they are and I can't see that changing.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

True.