Forum Generator for iWeb '08

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Timpaty, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Timpaty macrumors newbie

Hi. Does anyone know a free forum generator for iWeb '08? I would like to embed a forum into my website that I publish over FTP.
    Please let me know if you know of any.
    Thanks.

2. djab macrumors newbie

You could look into phpBB. Its a free open source forum. Its great for I have used it in the past

3. Timpaty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks djab, I shall look into that one. I did look at one and it was a folder full of word documents! Also one other thing, it for advanced web developers because I have only been making websites for about 6 months. Thanks again.

4. star-fish macrumors regular

I don't recommend using PHPBB unless you're willing to put time into it. It requires a lot of 'babysitting', you need to update it fairly regularly with security and bug fixes; if you want a low-maintenance site or one you can go off and leave for a few months, PHPBB will stand in your way.

The thing is, unless you sign up for a free forum (like at forumotion), it's not really as simple as a forum 'generator', because any forum you go for will take a lot of time and effort, both when you're promoting it and when it becomes successful (not to mention the tons of bandwidth that the big ones take up). I used to run a forum with about 1000 active members, and my host still complained about the amount of bandwidth I was using (big international host).

More information on what you want would be useful. How many people are you expecting to sign up? How much customisation do you want to have? What 'extras' (virtual/real shop, games, profile customisation etc.) do you want, if any?

5. djab macrumors newbie

These are php and html files. You upload them to your FTP server. Then you go to yoursite.com/install and there is a simple web installer. You will need a MySQL database. These may look like just word documents but they are really web pages when accessed via a browser.

I hope that explains the "word documents"

6. Timpaty thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi star-fish. I am making a website for a football team so probably for about 10-15 people signing up. Also, I would like quite a bit of customisation and no extras. Thank