Forum Question

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by kbrain2929, Sep 18, 2007.

1. kbrain2929 macrumors regular

kbrain2929

I'm sure this is in the incorrect location... but I need a bit of help. Can someone please explain how to use the multi-quote button, I've tried and failed every time I try to use it. Thanks! :apple:

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You hit the button all the way to the right, at the lower right-hand corner, with the quotation marks on it. Do this for each post you want to quote, then finally hit the reply button.

What have you been doing, since you're having trouble?

This should probably have been posted in the site and forum feedback section. :) But no worries.

3. kbrain2929 thread starter macrumors regular

kbrain2929

Oh... ok . Gotcha! Thank you. I dont really know what I was doing wrong. I thought the muilti-quote was to select certain text... but now I completely understand! Thanks for helping a dummy! (No offense to those who didn't know) :D :apple:

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The multi-quote buttons are toggles, so you can pick the ones you want to reply to, and "unpick" any that you picked by mistake, before clicking Post Reply.

You can pick posts from more than one page of the thread before you reply. It remembers the ones you picked as you go from page to page in the thread.

A small time-saver: Instead of clicking the multi-quote button for Post A, Post B, and Post C, and then the Post Reply button, you can click the multi-quote button for Post A and Post B and then click the Quote button for Post C. It produces the same result.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Advanced lesson: getting rid of multi-quotes

The forum software has a long memory for multi-quoted posts. It remembers the posts you selected even if you change threads or log out of the forums and come back later! It keeps waiting to include them the next time you post.

So what do you do if you click the multi-quote icon for a bunch of posts throughout a thread and then change your mind about wanting to quote them? There are three ways you can get rid of them:

1. Go back through the thread to find all of those posts and unselect them. If you picked a lot of them, this could be a bother.

2. Post in the thread, but erase the quoted posts from the Post Reply text box before submitting your reply. This method is easy, but shouldn't be used if you don't have anything to say, i.e., you don't really need to post.

3. The sneaky solution... Go to any other thread at MacRumors and click Post Reply. You'll see a message under the Post Reply text box that says
    You have selected 2 post(s) that are not part of this thread. Quote these posts as well, or deselect these posts.​
    Click "deselect these post" and leave the tab or window without posting. The multi-quoted selections will be gone for good!

6. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks Q, this was a very clever thing to know. :cool:

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is one other, small thing. They appear in the Message: box in the order that they were clicked, not the sequential order of the original posts. I'm not sure whether it's a feature or a bug, but it works that way for me.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'd like to think of it as a feature. :D I think it's convenient for when you want to have nested quotes.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think of it as a feature too. I click on the posts in the order I want to quote them, and it simply preserves that desire.