Forum Readers

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by JulianL, Jun 12, 2010.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

My iPad is my first iPhone OS (or I should now say iOS) device and I'm beginning to understand the app thing and the value of having customised apps for specific content (e.g. a Wikipedia app, Maps app, Facebook app, Amazon app, etc, etc) rather than doing everything in the browser like I do on my desktop.

One big area that is missing for me is an iPad app optimised for reading forums (PhpBB and vBulletin forums would capture about 90% of my usage).

I just searched the App Store and I see that there are a few for the iPhone but none seem to have made it across to the iPad. The ones I noticed for the iPhone were apps like "Tapatalk Forum App", "Forum Runner", "TouchBB Forum Browser", "Forums" and "3-in-1 Forums Pro". Every one of them seems to have ratings that include an awful lot of one-star ratings.

Has anyone researched this area for the iPad at all, visited all the developer web sites yet to see if they mention any iPad plans, contacted any developers directly to ask, or just have any general thoughts on this whole area?

I'll be visiting all the developer sites myself of course but I wondered if anyone has been here before me.

- Julian

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

It's been montioned b4 why we don't see this type of App but I don't recall what the concensus was? I also was wondering why this has been an area where no Apps have been developed or polished to work great. I think it could be b/c the Browser is a better option and seems to be best for many.
    It could be it's not cost effective, I'm just not sure without finding the old thread again and reviewing it.

It's a good question tho and I was also wondering myself.