Forum rules question

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by HyperSnake, May 27, 2009.

1. HyperSnake macrumors member

Hello,

I have a quick question: Is it against the forum rules to offer free iPhone developing? I'm trying to gain experience in the field which is why I am willing to develop applications for other people for free. Am I allowed to open a thread where I offer this?

Yours,
    Ben.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm pretty sure this is against the rules. If you want a more concrete answer why not ask those in the know?

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd still say it's a job offer, even if for free.

You might just ask if people have some ideas or come up with your own.

As a developer myself though, don't offer your services for free. You are either worth the money and shouldn't be doing it for free, or not worth the money and shouldn't take on a project that a client would expect you to finish.

Read through this thread to see what happens when you undersell yourself for learning!

4. HyperSnake thread starter macrumors member

I'm doing it to get myself a nice portfolio. I've always been the kind of guy who knows all the technical info, but have no ideas(or creativity). I know how to use and manipulate almost any illustrator or photoshop tool, nevertheless I never use it cause I have no clue what to do. Because of my lack of ideas I want to program iphone apps for others, but in order to get clients I need a portfolio. Which gets me back to the top.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Instead of doing it for a client simply post a thread asking for ideas in the iPhone forums. 95% or more will be impossible due to SDK restrictions, the other 5% will probably break down as 95% too large/difficult for one person (make an office suite that can display and edit all MS Office files etc). But you'll probably get one idea that is possible and actually feasible for a one-person shop on their first app :p

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Honestly, if you don't have ideas just do somethinig basic. Chess, checkers, connect 4, etc. If it's just for your personal portfolio go with things you know.

7. HyperSnake thread starter macrumors member

ok....

Thank you all for the answers. I'll reconsider everything. Nevertheless I have gotten the answer to my original question

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How about an air freshener? Surely we need that with all the fart applications.